First Flight Corn-Roc

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
One of the first threads I started on TRF 2 was the build of the First Flight A-Corn, a 13mm flying ear of styrofoam corn. One of the last on TRF1 was this rocket, the Corn-Roc, an 18mm version which has proved to be fairly tolerant of systematic abuse.

The Corn-Roc got another outing today in way too much wind. I loaded it with a B6-2 and it weathercocked, but not as badly as expected. In fact it looked pretty good until it landed. A high landing laterak velocity contributed a snapped fin which should be able to be fixed fairly easily.

A video of the flight can be seen here: https://flickr.com/photos/23694991@N03/3279515009/

cr-flt1a.jpg

cr-f1b.jpg

Man that was a good flight and a real interesting video :) Would it have got a little more height with some butter on it lol :) Seriously good job John :)
Cherrs
fred

Man that was a good flight and a real interesting video :) Would it have got a little more height with some butter on it lol :) Seriously good job John :)
Cherrs
fred

I save the butter to lubricate my arteries.:D

JAL3:

Glad this one is still getting out to launches. Seems like the poor bird just loves to slam into the ground. ;)

I'll try to make these things a seasonal offering, but there are a few more conventional designs in the works.

Still no popcorn wadding?

N

JAL3:

Glad this one is still getting out to launches. Seems like the poor bird just loves to slam into the ground. ;)

I'll try to make these things a seasonal offering, but there are a few more conventional designs in the works.

Still no popcorn wadding?

N

I'm surprised its in as good a shape as it is. We had sustained winds of about 20 with gusts to 35. Still, it weathered the storm pretty well.

I took a girl from my church out to the launch and this is one of the ones she really wanted to see. It was her first time and it seems she is now an oddroc afficionado.

I did have some popcorn wadding. Lindsey (the girl) ate it while I was setting up the range.:p

When I pulled the Corn-Roc out of its box today, I test fitted the broken fin. It seemed like a clean break.

broken-fin.jpg

I spread some gel CA along the break line and pressed the two pieces together. It went together "seamlessly".

fin-glued-1.jpg

fin-glued-2.jpg

After the fin was glued, I noticed that the upper launch lug was gone. I cut a new piece, used a piece of rod to align it and glued it on with CA.

lug-1.jpg

lug-2.jpg

lug-3.jpg

Im telling you job the noble potato is much more aerodynamic :)
Cheers
fred

That is a seriously cool project, John, and fun to see fly. But being an Illinois girl I think it's a bit wimpy sized corn cob. I suggest you go with something like this next time: https://flickr.com/photos/13453262@N03/2348195400

I don't have anything like that one but I do have a larger one waiting for my attention. Its about twice the size of the Corn-Roc and requires clearance from neither the ATF or the Secrete Service.:p

Another demo I did for the kids at Vacation Bible School was the CornRoc. They all liked it in the static display and some were dubious about the prospects of it really flying. The original build thread is on the archive here: https://www.rocketryforumarchive.com/showthread.php?t=49668

It was loaded with a C6-5 and, on the way to the pads, I could hear the shouting, "He's really going to fly the corn cob!"

The motor ignited without any problem and took off looking good.

CR-F1a.jpg

CR-F1b.jpg

CR-F1c.jpg

For reasons unknown, at about 100 feet it decided to take a turn to the north. From there on it flew straight and ejected over the cemetery. It landed on the roof of the church and I thought it was going to be a problem to recover it but a slight breeze blew it off and it drifted down under the chute again. No damage.

CR-F1d.jpg

CR-F1e.jpg

John thats brilliant. Do the kernels near the exhaust pop :)
Cheers
fred

Those dudes are really susceptible to wind. I flew mine this Sunday and had a similar issue. It may be stability related or the fact that the fins stick so far out to the rear. Contemplating more nose weight or spin-stabilization for next run.

N

Those dudes are really susceptible to wind. I flew mine this Sunday and had a similar issue. It may be stability related or the fact that the fins stick so far out to the rear. Contemplating more nose weight or spin-stabilization for next run.

N

I thought about possible weather cocking because it seemed to start its turn as it cleared the imagined lee of the church building. I say imagined because it was VERY still out there. Most of us would have given up our allowance for a few weeks in exchange for a breeze.

My club held it's makeup launch yesterday and I had a pair of youngsters with me. I told them that they could fly whatever I had in the truck that they wanted. It was Tiger's first outing and he very much wanted to see an ear of corn fly. Lindsey took Tiger and the Corn-roc out the the pad after I prepped it and then reported back that it was ready to fly.

Corn-Roc-f1a.jpg

Corn-Roc-f1b.jpg

Something did not look quite right to me and when I quizzed Lindsey, she told me that one of the launch lugs had broken off.

Corn-Roc-f1c.jpg

We searched the ground and found no sign of the missing lug. When I quizzed the other members present, none of them had any 1/8" lug. Then Ken Kryszak suggested that the tube that protects copperhead igniters should work. It seemed the right size and I cut off a piece and affixed it with CA.

NOTE TO FIRST FLIGHT: the AT tube fits the straw color theme better than the original lug.

Corn-Roc-f1d.jpg

The Corn-Roc was taken back out to the pad but by this time I had to wait for my turn. Tiger was interested to learn that the rocket ahead of me was a copter and wanted to see the full effect.

I should probably mention that it had been loaded with a Quest C6-3.

Corn-Roc-f1e.jpg

Corn-Roc-f1f.jpg

Corn-Roc-f1g.jpg

Corn-Roc-f1h.jpg

You know John ever since you've started this thread I've been all ears :) I'm glad you and the kidsd had fun :)
Cheers
Fred

I got sidetracked before I could finish the launch report and now Flickr.com has gone all squirrely on me.

You know John ever since you've started this thread I've been all ears :) I'm glad you and the kidsd had fun :)
Cheers
Fred

I jsut got it.

Oh, that hurts. Line up behind Phil for the :bangpan:

I jsut got it.

Oh, that hurts. Line up behind Phil for the :bangpan:

Sorry pal i know Im not the cream of the crop :) There is a kernal of truth in what you say :)
Cheers
fred

Back