First Fiberglass Kit - Mach 1 Nike XII

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertH3

No need to buy stands after a launch day!
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This is a beautiful piece of work, but since it is my first I have a couple questions. I am primarily an electronics tech, so the wirin' and figurin' on the dual deploy seems pretty simple. Modular stuff. I started thinking about the build first since mechanically I usually need to do that ;)
I've watched the Mach 1 build vids and so am up on the fiberglass cleaning and prep requirements (and have an N95 handy for some reason). I also understand internal fillets with large syringe. Really wish I could find a set of his filleting tools!!!

I built an LP Estes Nike X so I can use the smaller kit for an eyeball test and fin positioning.

Here's my build sequence. Questions are at end of post.

1.) Electronics Bay (coupler between lower and upper body tubes)
2.) Motor mount and Centering Rings - need to make jig to ensure exact perpendicular rings.
2a.) Have ring locations measured to ensure coupling with main fins and also type L retainer.
3.) Main (lower) body tube: install motor mount, main, and secondary fins. Draw lines up from mains with marking guide.
4.) Connect E-Bay to Parachute compartment (upper) body tube - large rivets or Allen capscrews, etc. If screws are used, then T-Nuts will be required inside the bay to receive them. The whole assembly needs to be strong enough to take lots of abuse.
5.) Upper (small) fins to ensure alignment. Do not install until the whole rocket is joined together
6.) Nose cone: assemble last. If weight is required, easy to add.
5a.) Check Cg loaded with motor, wadding, and all recovery gear installed.

Some Notes:
A. This rocket is capable of 9K feet and trans-sonic - vent holes for lower and upper compartment required
B. Vent(s) required in E-Bay for altimeter function - this vent must go through coupler and body when the bay is connected to the upper tube. Drill after connecting. Altimeter vents in upper section.
C. Shear pins likely required due to weight - both upper and lower compartment. Align fins before installing shear pins. Drag separation would be a bummer.

Questions:

1.) Epoxy: should I use JB on the centering rings and TTW tab to MMT tube, or does fiberglass provide sufficient insulation for Rocket-Poxy or BadA$$ epoxy with filler?
2.) I have a Lightning Bug dual deploy altimeter I bought for a smaller rocket - neat unit with HV discharge (arc) ignition and LiPO4 battery. It has two outputs. Should I keep this for a smaller model and use a 4-output unit? This would give redundancy on drogue deployment at apogee and main deployment also.

Beat this up if you see anything wrong! I request criticism before mixing epoxy and making mistakes :welcome:

Cheers / Robert

little nicky and big nike small.jpg

Might not be a bad idea to get a switchband in there too. Will make it much easier when drilling the altimeter vent holes as well as electronics activation components.
JB Weld is fine, for both motor retainer and fins. Rocketpoxy is also just fine on the fins.
You can use any altimeter you please. 4 outputs are useful only if you plan on adding redundancy. Some would say that just adding an additional e-match into the charge doesn't give you THAT much. And if going with dual charge cups for each event, then you might as well add another altimeter and battery.

This is a beautiful piece of work, but since it is my first I have a couple questions. I am primarily an electronics tech, so the wirin' and figurin' on the dual deploy seems pretty simple. Modular stuff. I started thinking about the build first since mechanically I usually need to do that ;)
I've watched the Mach 1 build vids and so am up on the fiberglass cleaning and prep requirements (and have an N95 handy for some reason). I also understand internal fillets with large syringe. Really wish I could find a set of his filleting tools!!!

I built an LP Estes Nike X so I can use the smaller kit for an eyeball test and fin positioning.

Here's my build sequence. Questions are at end of post.

1.) Electronics Bay (coupler between lower and upper body tubes)
2.) Motor mount and Centering Rings - need to make jig to ensure exact perpendicular rings.
2a.) Have ring locations measured to ensure coupling with main fins and also type L retainer.
3.) Main (lower) body tube: install motor mount, main, and secondary fins. Draw lines up from mains with marking guide.
4.) Connect E-Bay to Parachute compartment (upper) body tube - large rivets or Allen capscrews, etc. If screws are used, then T-Nuts will be required inside the bay to receive them. The whole assembly needs to be strong enough to take lots of abuse.
5.) Upper (small) fins to ensure alignment. Do not install until the whole rocket is joined together
6.) Nose cone: assemble last. If weight is required, easy to add.
5a.) Check Cg loaded with motor, wadding, and all recovery gear installed.

Some Notes:
A. This rocket is capable of 9K feet and trans-sonic - vent holes for lower and upper compartment required
B. Vent(s) required in E-Bay for altimeter function - this vent must go through coupler and body when the bay is connected to the upper tube. Drill after connecting. Altimeter vents in upper section.
C. Shear pins likely required due to weight - both upper and lower compartment. Align fins before installing shear pins. Drag separation would be a bummer.

Questions:

1.) Epoxy: should I use JB on the centering rings and TTW tab to MMT tube, or does fiberglass provide sufficient insulation for Rocket-Poxy or BadA$$ epoxy with filler?
2.) I have a Lightning Bug dual deploy altimeter I bought for a smaller rocket - neat unit with HV discharge (arc) ignition and LiPO4 battery. It has two outputs. Should I keep this for a smaller model and use a 4-output unit? This would give redundancy on drogue deployment at apogee and main deployment also.

Beat this up if you see anything wrong! I request criticism before mixing epoxy and making mistakes :welcome:

Cheers / Robert

View attachment 429281
Very nice job. What is the next build on the bench I see?

First FG! Great !
Looking forward to when I do the same
Good luck Sir !
P.S. Elect. Tech here too lol. Close to retirement/ homeless haha

The build thread is PERFECT. I'd like a switchband but really don't want to cut 'glass in my shop so will probably just use overlap on upper tube (main chute compartment). Don't seem to be any pre-made bands on the Mach 1 site.

Cheers / Robert

Here is my Mach One 3 inch Nike XII. I stretched it for big 54mm motors and made it dual deployment. When I was a tyke, my dad and his brother worked on the Zeus/Spartan, so this kind of brings a bit of my dad back to me!🪖🚀

Attachments

• 7C1D810F-5782-4B67-B972-4AD627BCB030.jpeg
    7C1D810F-5782-4B67-B972-4AD627BCB030.jpeg
    166.5 KB · Views: 18
Back