First Experience with Aleene's Original Tacky Glue

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockrwood

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
To my dismay, the bottle of Titebond II in my girlfriend's utility closest was old and had that "orange crust" in the bottle. It is pretty dried out and very thick. Dang. Luckily, she also had a bottle of "Aleene's Original Tacky Glue" in her closet. I decided to try the Aleene's Original Tacky Glue to glue some fins onto my Skill Level 1 rocket.

Hmm. Interesting. It seems to bond really strong (at least when allowed to cure overnight). I can't say it is exceptionally "tacky". The tack seemed about the same as Titebond III, which actually is less tacky than Titebond II or Titebond I.

Can't really complain. Seems to work well as model rocket glue. Just expected it to be a little "tackier". You know, like a guy in a leisure suit. ;-)

IMG-5769_cropped.jpg

Last edited:
Allene's Original Tacky Glue is one of the glues in my regular arsenal. I like that it's NOT as grabby at Titebond II which makes it work well for motor mounts and couplers.

I have used it as the only adhesive in building a model with no plastic parts that need to be glued and have had good luck with it. When I do group builds of regular Alphas at the Museum of Flight this is what we use.

So yes, it works well as a model rocket glue.

Just for the record, I was able to "resuscitate" the Titebond II a little by letting the bottle sit in hot water for 10 minutes and shaking it up a lot. Yes, I could just go to the hardware store and get another bottle of TBII, for about $5.00, but I didn't want to if I could bring the old TBII back to life a little bit and use it. I am now doing an "A-B" comparison of attaching fins with TBII and Aleene's. I will let you know how it goes.

Aleene's tacky glue is often used for speaker surround &spider repair because it's more soft/pliable than Elmer's white glue when dry, so better for damping and longevity in a vibrating environment.
I've used it, but never done a comparison with white glue or Titebond to verify those claims.

Allene's Original Tacky Glue is one of the glues in my regular arsenal. I like that it's NOT as grabby at Titebond II which makes it work well for motor mounts and couplers.
Based on your description, I may need to buy some of this. TB II scared me when I was gluing a coupler tonight. I really had to pound it to get it in place. Fortunately it was going into a short payload bay, so the body tube section held up to the abuse when a longer tube might have buckled. Heretofore in my brief BAR journey to date, TB II had performed beautifully in all respects, but now I know its dark side. :oops:

Based on your description, I may need to buy some of this. TB II scared me when I was gluing a coupler tonight. I really had to pound it to get it in place. Fortunately it was going into a short payload bay, so the body tube section held up to the abuse when a longer tube might have buckled. Heretofore in my brief BAR journey to date, TB II had performed beautifully in all respects, but now I know its dark side. :oops:
TB II is great for fins and most stuff. You are right. The fast tack is TOO fast when you need to slide a coupler into place and fiddle with it a little bit. Same problem with Titebond Original. Titebond III has a longer working time and is not as “grabby” as Titebond II. It is an option when working with couplers. So is good, old Elmer’s Glue-All.

Back