First Event Next Weekend - South GA

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Excited for my first event next weekend at the GRITS launch. in South GA. Here is my baby. I haven't built rockets since i was a kid. So now at 32, im picking the hobby back up. I wont be using this launch pad, its just something custom i threw together for if i do my own launches. Going for a G78 motor for the first day and hoping to get my L1 on day two.

Here is my build

20210807_163335725_iOS.jpg
I was hoping to also get some input form the comunity...i am bringing a popup and table and such out to the range, but for like a field box, what all should i bring? I dont hav extra motors or ignitors so that i know is a must in the future, but as far as easily accessible items to bring...

And there have been other range box threads over the years as well. Therefore I will keep this short. What I consider essential are:
  • Sun screen
  • Sun hat
  • Bandaids
  • Beverages (well, not actually in the box)
Less essential but top of the list of good ideas are:
  • Slip joint plyers for motor extraction
  • Masking tape
  • Medium grit sand paper both for motor insertion (when the cardboard mushrooms a little on the ends) and for field repairs.
  • CA glue for field repairs
  • 5, 10, or 15 minute (your choice) epoxy for field repairs, along with something that can serve for mixing in or on, and stirrers.
Last but not least: money. Bring money.

That Zephyr is a popular kit for your position, and apparently for good reasons (though I've never built one). Nice job on it.

Good luck and good times.

Here is my baby. I haven't built rockets since i was a kid. So

Cool Zephyr, I hope I get to see it fly.

The field is big, but bring appropriate clothes just in case you need to traipse through the brush a little to fetch it from the perimeter.

Chris/csrocketry.com will be there, so extra motors/igniters won't be a problem.

And there have been other range box threads over the years as well. Therefore I will keep this short. What I consider essential are:
  • Sun screen
  • Sun hat
  • Bandaids
  • Beverages (well, not actually in the box)
Less essential but top of the list of good ideas are:
  • Slip joint plyers for motor extraction
  • Masking tape
  • Medium grit sand paper both for motor insertion (when the cardboard mushrooms a little on the ends) and for field repairs.
  • CA glue for field repairs
  • 5, 10, or 15 minute (your choice) epoxy for field repairs, along with something that can serve for mixing in or on, and stirrers.
Last but not least: money. Bring money.

That Zephyr is a popular kit for your position, and apparently for good reasons (though I've never built one). Nice job on it.

Good luck and good times.

Thanks lots of good things. I have checked some other posts, but figured id give my story and my current experience to tailor the replies. yes, moeny for sure. the vendor on site will have an L1 capable motor for my rocket, so i will be buying from them on site.

Cool Zephyr, I hope I get to see it fly.

The field is big, but bring appropriate clothes just in case you need to traipse through the brush a little to fetch it from the perimeter.

Chris/csrocketry.com will be there, so extra motors/igniters won't be a problem.
I'll be there both days. ivntigin family out to see and to enjoy the others. Weather is looking ok so far. Slight chance of rain AM on Sat.

I’ll be there both days. I’m flying my first DD. I’ll also be running pad assignment for a couple hours.

Even a slight rain can make that field muddy, so bring appropriate footwear just in case. I have a pair of muck boots to tromp around in.

The items above are a good list of stuff to bring. If you plan to fly reloads, you might something to clean the cases. I use baby wipes. I also make sure to bring food and drinks.There will be burgers and drinks at the field on Saturday, but not Sunday.

Good luck on your cert flight. Chris Short will have any motors you need.

Got my level 1! Thank you everyone with advice public and private. Sorry if i saw you out there and didnt but a name to the online persona. Ran on a CTI I-345

Details from my altimeter:

Max Altitude: 2584 ft
Max Speed: 448 mph
Burn Time: 1.9 secs
Peak Acceleration: 21.9 Gs
Avg Acceleration: 18.7 Gs
Apogee reached after: 11.1 secs
Descent speed: 1 mph
Total flight time: 160.9 secs

Attachments

• video-1638050265.mp4
    3 MB