First Death Metal Concert... Quite An Experience!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozymandias

Reaction score
I went to go see Himsa, Bleeding Through, Arch Enemy, and Cradle of Filth last night at the House of Blues in Orlando. We packed 8 people in a minivan that is supposed to hold 5 and drove over to Orlando. Other and an almost-accident on I-4 the trip was okay. The concert was insane. I was in the mosh pit with my friends. Let me tell you, the mosh pit is a great way to work off stress especially after the hellish week I had. I have two papers due, a test, and a quiz. My hearing is still messed up but it was well worth it!

go see GWAR youll be messed up for a while

but you will come back to your senses

About 17yrs ago, I went to see the (now late) Johnny Thunders, at a small club in Bristol (The Bierkeller). He was playing through a PA 3 times the size of one he shold have been using at a venue the size of the Beirkeller. This was on a Sunday night.

I got up for work, the next day, found I could hardly hear anything, and my ears were REALLY hurting. Got to work, and found the workmate I'd gone to the gig with, suffering the same way. We both made appointments with our Drs, and were told we were suffering from a rather big Tempoary Shift Of Hearing! :D Took us both over a week to regain anything like normal hearing, and for the pain to stop, but it was worth it! :D Glad I got to see Johnny Thunders before his final overdose.

slayer...if you havent been to a slayer concert, then you are nothing. lol. if you want some hurting ears, check them out. hatebreed too. they're sick. but if you're really into noise core, then throwdown is a good band, even though they're more grindcore. check out throwdown "get sick" go DL it or something. its a SICK song.

AHHH Yes,
Gotta love the pit. Two shows at once. The band and the PIT!

Originally posted by Ozymandias
I went to go see Himsa, Bleeding Through, Arch Enemy, and Cradle of Filth last night at the House of Blues in Orlando. We packed 8 people in a minivan that is supposed to hold 5 and drove over to Orlando. Other and an almost-accident on I-4 the trip was okay. The concert was insane. I was in the mosh pit with my friends. Let me tell you, the mosh pit is a great way to work off stress especially after the hellish week I had. I have two papers due, a test, and a quiz. My hearing is still messed up but it was well worth it!

Death metal, speed metal, hardcore, terrorcore...

Flibberdy gibbet!

In my day all we had was HEAVY metal, and we LIKED it. We LOVED it. We loved it so much they made a movie about it! Kinda.

All of them owe more than a little to Blue Oyster Cult for making it a genre.

Originally posted by DynaSoar
Death metal, speed metal, hardcore, terrorcore...

Flibberdy gibbet!

In my day all we had was HEAVY metal, and we LIKED it. We LOVED it. We loved it so much they made a movie about it! Kinda.

All of them owe more than a little to Blue Oyster Cult for making it a genre.

Ah, for the real days of metal....

Led Zepplin ~ Albuquerque, NM 1976
Blue Oyster Cult ~ Midland, TX 1977
The Texas Jam (Including Foghat at 105dBA in 100 degree weather) Aerosmith, Ted Nugent,.
Not to mention Black Sabbath in the El Paso County Coluseum ~ so stoned he could barely stand and so unintelligible it made GWAR (heard them once, on a dare) sound like Masterpiece Theater.

All this new "metal" seems to this golden moldy like an excuse for bad audio engineering.

Yet there is no accounting for taste,,.

Meh. Next you guys will be telling me you had to walk 20 miles to school in the snow... Uphill both ways. :D

Longest ringing I've had was from a show called Operation Rock N Roll back in the early 90's: Dangerous Toys, Metal Church, Motorhead, Judas Priest and Alice Cooper all in one show. Man, it was amazing! My ears rang for about a week afterwards. The best concerts have been the two Rush concerts I've been to, and Pink Floyd was pretty amazing as well. As for stress relief, the contact buzz I got at the Skid Row/Guns N Roses concert helped quite a bit...lol

Loopy,
I saw the RUSH "Hold Your Fire" concert in Houston. It was by far the best concert I have ever seen. Ears rang for 3 days. Those old guys can put on a great show!

everyone has their opinions, im sure your parents told you that KISS was the devil, and led zeplin was not music, "yet, there is no accounting for taste" ahh, its all perspective. opinions. thats why we live in america. lol. GET SIIIIIIIICK!!!!!

Originally posted by texasck1
Loopy,
I saw the RUSH "Hold Your Fire" concert in Houston. It was by far the best concert I have ever seen. Ears rang for 3 days. Those old guys can put on a great show!

I've seen Rush 8 times in the past 16 years. The Hold Your Fire tour was the first 2 times (Jacksonville, FL & Lakeland, FL). Their Presto tour a couple years later was absolutely dreadful as they walked through their set (saw them twice again but in Orlando, FL & Jacksonville, FL). The past 3 tours were *much, much* better. :cool: In fact, they toured just the summer in honor of their (*gasp* :eek: ) 30th anniversary! AMAZING show as they performed at least one song from every album. They put on a live show unlike anyone else out there. Rush is my favorite band without a doubt.

Led Zep, Physical Graffitti Tour 1974...don't remember much except I have a ticket stub proving I was there.
but for recent personal ear ringing loudness that I can remember I'd have to go with Rush Vapor Trails tour in the 13th Row (Alex's side of stage) at Madison Square Garden.

Andy

i have to give it to you older guys, you still hold the throne with the best songs ever. stairway to heaven, what competes with that. detroit rock city. nothing even remotely as influential is coming out these days. just stuff pushed by MTV. thats why i like slayer and bands of the like, because you dont see slayer on MTV. when was the last time you saw hatebreed on MTV? its all ja rule, ashley simpson(who lip sings, like every other pop artist out there, with the exception maybe of alecia keys) and one year artists like that. its getting pretty depressing.

Originally posted by r1dermon
thats why i like slayer and bands of the like, because you dont see slayer on MTV. when was the last time you saw hatebreed on MTV? its all ja rule, ashley simpson(who lip sings, like every other pop artist out there, with the exception maybe of alecia keys) and one year artists like that. its getting pretty depressing.

Such is the state of the music industry; no style, no substance, completely disposable music that ANY number of bands can record. If music sales continue to slump, and the shift towards satellite radio continues, then the pendulum will probably start swinging back.

Meh. Next you guys will be telling me you had to walk 20 miles to school in the snow... Uphill both ways. :D

Yup, that was me walking 20 miles in a blizzard to catch the bus, hair down to my fifth vertebra, wearing nothing but my black Ozzie t-shirt, faded black Levis with the calves torn out and a few bandanas tied around my legs, Nike hightops laced halfway up with the toungues hanging out, a scavanged Marburo dangling off my lover lip, and listening to a worn Black Sabbath tape on my 3 lb Walkman that was hanging over my shoulder.

Yup, those were the days to by in Jr High.

i have to give it to you older guys, you still hold the throne with the best songs ever. stairway to heaven, what competes with that.

in english we had to bring in songs that we liked for some sort of poetry project... guess what me and my friend brought in?

half the period later we sat down content in the fact that we had wasted more class time than anyone else

definatly old metal is better... the new metallica doesn't really fancy me

everyone finds it akward that i cant stand most new music except maybe some drive through... vans warped tour, now THATS a pit

My metal band concert list (so far) is as follows:
Iron Maiden
BOC
Judas Priest
Ozzy
Night Ranger
Joan Jett
AC/DC
Ted Nuggent (Surviving Nuggent;the only reality show I ever liked.Get `em Ted!)
Slash
Childs Play
Y&T
There where quite a few other smaller bands at Shiley Acres over the years but most of them slip my noodle.The one metal band that I most wanted to see and never got to is Queensryche.They're touring again and wouldn't you know that their nearest gig is in Va. Beach!Geoff Tate has the most incredible voice ever.
Now for my "Which metal band would you most like to bestranded on a desserted island with?" VIXEN! Yes ,I saw the VH-1 show three times.Needless to say I had it pretty bad for them.Let's see tha Japaneese build a better one of those.
Now as for the number one all time metal band ever that award will have to go to the cool kids of The Kix! Best party/concert band ever!Period! Just ask anyone who's seen `em.

Metallica 1983,, they opened for honeymoon suite and Y&T.. at the Municipal auditorium... that was the loudest fastest band I had ever heard up to that time... after the show was over all we could think about was that opening act that sounded like a freight train at full speed. very few people there had heard of them untill after that show. very loud

I'm a good example of how ones brain can freeze when it's pushed too hard.Metallica is another one on the must see list.Lars is one of my fave drummers ever.They too are touring and the closest venue is in D.C. Why couldn't they wait till summer and play the Nissan Pavillion?

I haven't been to a death metal concert(that I recall) but the wife has.. we combind all the ticket stubs we could find and have 3 large poster frames full, I have a seperate display of 11 Kiss tickets and backstage passes dating back to 75..

the oldest stub we could find is the wifes 1974 three dog night..we both have been to well over 100 shows each .. the last one was kings X with Dream Theater and Joe Satriani. at the Tabernacle in atlanta

I missed some good local concerts...Mudvayne performed last year about 5 miles from my house...and Metallica played with Godsmack not too long ago, missed that one, too...never have been to a concert...

I have been to two

George Thorogood opening for ZZ Top

and a looonnnggg Bob Dylan concert

great times

rabid, were you at ozzfest? THATS a mosh pit. lol. THAT was insane.

my friend went... he had something like 3rd or 4th row tickets for the actual show inside... him and his friend spent a pretty penny on em, and then his friend had to go home early cause he was knocked out in a pit :D

Originally posted by stymye
the oldest stub we could find is the wifes 1974 three dog night..

I am truly, honestly, insanely jealous.

I have seen:
Clapyton X4
Zepplin
Yes
Stones x 2
The Band (in a bar)
Black Sabbath (one time too many)
Eagles (in a bar as backups for Linda Ronstadt)
CSN
CSNY

And many others

I would trade most any two to have seen Three Dog Night at their Heyday.

You forgot barefoot and in the dark.;)

i have to give it to you older guys, you still hold the throne with the best songs ever. stairway to heaven, what competes with that. detroit rock city. nothing even remotely as influential is coming out these days. just stuff pushed by MTV. thats why i like slayer and bands of the like, because you dont see slayer on MTV. when was the last time you saw hatebreed on MTV? its all ja rule, ashley simpson(who lip sings, like every other pop artist out there, with the exception maybe of alecia keys) and one year artists like that. its getting pretty depressing.

Oh there's some good stuff coming out. It's hard to find novel and unique stuff these days but it's there. Sadly a lot of it is forever stuck on indie/college radio and the free download sites. They'll never get what their work is worth.

There was a guy on MP3.com that went by the band name Quercus Circus. As a self-engineering composer/musician and in sheer inventiveness, I put him up there with Mike Oldfield and Vangelis. But you could only get his stuff on MP3.com. He would never sign with a label. He had lots of reasons. In fact you could read them. His page had a link to his PhD dissertation, on how the net would make record companies if not extraneous, at least make them more obviously strictly gimmick.

Yeah, there's a lot of junk on indie labels and downloads, but there's a lot of junk on CDs in the stores too.

Back