First clone.........with pix

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkmilion

Reaction score
Hey does anyone remember the Astron Trident? The orginal with three BT5's not the Trident II. Well to be honest this kit was out way before I was born, but I thought it was cool and challenging so I decided to clone it. So here are three pix of my accomplishments. I personally think it didn't turn out the greatest, but it still looks cool. Tell me what you think.

My next clone in the making is the Estes Super Neon. I think it's gonna be sweet!!!

I remember seeing this kit(Trident) in the Estes catalogs, back in '67 or '68. I have fond memories of studying those catalogs intensely. :)

Yup - I still have mine. It is one of only two rockets I flew back in 74/74 that I still have (the other is the Mini Bomarc). My Trident is a bit worse for wear, with a cracked fin, but when I get the time I plan to repair the fin and give her a new coat of paint and a set of decals (never did decal it - when I built the Trident, the instructions said paint red paint on Scotch Tape, cut them to shape and stick them to the rocket - the original "peel-n-stick" decals! ;) )

Greg

I saw the Estes Super Neon about a hour ago in a thread posted on TRF , and cloning it will be sweeeeet :p
-Karl

That is turely a work of ART MK!
the Tredent is one of the very few models I built "back in the Day" that none of the pics a clear enough to post:( I just couldn't fly it enough... mine was chrome silver.. Way to many white models in the fleet back then;) I'm in the process of attempting to downscale the Trident to Micro-Maxx motor size using a 10.5mm or 13mm body and aft section.. may end up "to Dang Heavy" but will give it a shot:D

Anyway Your full size is just plain beautiful! Great job

WOW a MMX version would be awesome !
-Karl

Cool!! I have been afraid to try this one.... all that lining up of tubes and stuff....

Micromister,
Thanks for the compliments, I can't wait to see the MMX version. I pretty sure tube alignment will be a tad bit easier.
Speaking of which: Tube alignment was a major pain. I actually got them lined well except one is 1/64" off (hardly noticeable). The irony is that the launch lugs are little bit more off. I have to compensate for by angling the launch rod. No biggy.
You also can't tell one of the decals isn't straight.
Other then all that, I'm proud of my self and it. Just don't fly it on an A8-3! I had first not deploy chute in time, second core sampled, third barely but perfect flight.
It's fine, but man that was a close one.
If any of you plan on cloning this one it is a bit on the pricey side, challenging enough, but in the end well worth the trouble in looks.

Originally posted by Karl
I saw the Estes Super Neon about a hour ago in a thread posted on TRF , and cloning it will be sweeeeet :p
-Karl

Was it the Tube fin one? If it was I decided on the Super Neon because the kits currently offer are beginner type. I figured cloning, especially with no directions would be interesting. Besides the little finlets make it even better.

Yep the tube-finned one . I might have a go at that rocket myself :p
-Karl

I've gotten my parts from BMS today and will begin construction later today on the Super Neon. Now that I think about it challenging isn't in the vocab with this one, except maybe with the paint. I've never done a two tone or even three tone fade. Oh well I'll figure it out. When I decide to post pix I will start a new thread just so it'll catch everyones eye a bit better.

I always loved the Trident. it gave me the feeling of a ship that could actually travel the stars :) I flew mine all the time.

You did a great job cloning it. It is interesting that i've seen several Trident models flying this past year.

I made my Trident clone about 5 years ago.

Here it is at NARAM 43 in Geneseo, NY.

This strange little old man walked up to me and just took it out of my hands and I couldn't stop him!

He did sign it! But then he made me fly it!

Perfect flight except it landed on the RSO tent!

Yes, I made all 9 nose cones too!

sandman

Originally posted by mkmilion
Hey does anyone remember the Astron Trident? The orginal with three BT5's not the Trident II. Well to be honest this kit was out way before I was born, but I thought it was cool and challenging so I decided to clone it. So here are three pix of my accomplishments. I personally think it didn't turn out the greatest, but it still looks cool. Tell me what you think.

I think it's a fine job on a fine design. Congrats. Really takes me back.

I wonder if you could up scale it even more? Use a PML 3" for the center with the 1.5" for the outer tubes. fly it on a G or H motor.

Back