****FIREWORKS****

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a fatal firework accident in my city last night and the news reported an 11 year old was killed by one in the Southern Part of the state.

Yes they are fun, but they are still explosives. Treat them with the same respect you treat a loaded gun.

Several years ago I had a 3" shell misfire during a handlit show. It burst right as it left the mortar and right at the level of my shoulder. I was wearing firefighting turnout gear, a nomex hood, leather firefighting gloves, boots, and a hardhat with a face screen. I had my back to the mortar rack, crouched low, but maybe 2 feet away from the mortar. One star came under my screen and burned by cheek through the nomex hood. The turnout coat had burns along the back and I had no injuries under the coat. The hardhat had several dents in the back where it was hit by stars.

This was only a 3" shell - reloadeable shells sold in stores are 1.75" and the preloaded ones can be 2.25". All in all, the PPE and positioning worked as it was supposed to. I ended up with what amounted to a cigarette burn to a cheek. Imagine the same failure happening to someone without proper training and PPE.
When I was a kid mom worked at the hospital, so I knew pretty much all the happenings going on there.
4th of July show was put on by the local volunteer Fire Dept.
This particular one was at the high school. I vividly remember on of those mortars exploding just as it did with you just as the individual lit it. He was hit full on, full force at ground level.
I don’t remember if he had the full fire gear on, but I do know he spent several weeks in the hospital afterwords.

I've never had a ground burst and I hope I never do. I have had a 6" flower pot once (burst while still in the mortar) scared the ba-gesus outta me. Never from the hand, use a section if slow fuse to ignite all mortars as well as lots of other rules.

Fireworks are not toys and should be treated as just as dangerous as a firearm. If safety rules are followed they can be enjoyable but if you don't follow safety rules, its just a matter of time until someone is hurt.

When I was 8 or 9 we went to a show. We were sitting on a blanket. Some teenage girls sat down in front of us. We moved so we could see better. Part way into the show there was a ground burst. I don't remember if everything went up. It was so powerful it knocked me over. The girls that had been in front of us were on the front page of the paper. They had taken a load of shrapnel. I can still see the explosion in my minds eye.

I'm in Big Bear which are the local mountains where I live in Southern California and come up to escape the fireworks and the big booms. My dog doesn't care for them either and I'll never give her drugs to deal with it like most pet parents. Anyway I was watching the Macy's 4th of July Celebration and I must admit it was pretty awesome. They had all sorts of fireworks going off during the performances and it really gave you that "I'm Proud to be an American" feeling. I hope all of you made it through the 4th whether you were lighting them off or not and had a chance to to be with your family and good friends. BTW they did have a show of fireworks that was performed over the lake. I was able to catch the show from my hotel room. It was very similar to Disneyland's which I live about 5 miles away from my house. Hope all of you have a great rest of the week. I go back to work on the 11th so going work on some hobbies etc and meet with some friends that I haven't seen in quite some time.

Last edited:
We bought some fireworks for our kids but...the prices are ridiculous $80 got very little. I love fireworks and celebrate the 4th of July, but fireworks are 3-4x more expensive this year than last, at this rate it will cease to be a tradition in our family. A single box of Pop-its/Snap-its was $5 ouch. Last year we spent about $300 on fireworks and had 10× what we got this year.
Haven't looked up Pasco, but there is a tradition ( or at least was) of a tribe importing at least a full size shipping container to sell. I think there was at least 6 that year, iirc. Really big deal, as the prez of Black Cat was set up like royalty complete with red carpet and throne in his own tent. He would accept appointments to keep out the rabble, but I got a cool BC poster with his sig. Not as impressed as with old man Grucci. Typical Japanese business dude. You could shoot the unfriendlies on site, ( hey, their rez!) as the cops would bust you filling your trunk for resale to the rubes south. They would actually leave you the 'safe snd sane' loads, but you lost the big stuff. I smuggled out a 3" purple shell for a friend's backyard show I kinda hacked together outta commercial stuff and green fuse trains. Met a chap that financed his yearly trips to fish salmon in Alaska by loading up his motor home b 4 going home to Cali. On a body of water below the border, but can't remember the tribe name. They fished as substance farming. Had a peninsula with the boats moored. I think I killed that brain cell with whiskey or toxic smoke. It was a true source of income for them. cheep and they gave tons of stuff away on July third so they could fold up the plywood fronts snd store them for the next year. You are obviously closer to do the research. Maybe too long ago now, don't know. Stay safe, brother!
(forgot to mention I lived in Lynnwood, fired the show in Monroe, while employed as a rent-a-dork by Boring in Everett. )

Last edited:
We have tribal fireworks stands about 50ish miles away, after talking with some guys from work my family will probably visit them. Toppenish restricts all their vendors to one lot afaik so there are a dozen vendors in one location...so the vendors have to compete for business and are willing to deal a bit. Locally the vendors are scattered all over town and put the prices however they want them, negotiation not possible.
Haven't looked up Pasco, but there is a tradition ( or at least was) of a tribe importing at least a full size shipping container to sell. I think there was at least 6 that year, iirc. Really big deal, as the prez of Black Cat was set up like royalty complete with red carpet and throne in his own tent. He would accept appointments to keep out the rabble, but I got a cool BC poster with his sig. Not as impressed as with old man Grucci. Typical Japanese business dude. You could shoot the unfriendlies on site, ( hey, their rez!) as the cops would bust you filling your trunk for resale to the rubes south. They would actually leave you the 'safe snd sane' loads, but you lost the big stuff. I smuggled out a 3" purple shell for a friend's backyard show I kinda hacked. Met a chap that financed his yearly trips to fish salmon in Alaska by loading up his motor home b 4 going home to Cali. On a body of water below the border, but can't remember the tribe name. They fished as substance farming. Had a peninsula with the boats moored. I think I killed that brain cell with whiskey or toxic smoke. It was a true source of income for them. cheep and they gave tons of stuff away on July third so they could fold up the plywood fronts snd store them for the next year. You are obviously closer to do the research. Maybe too long ago now, don't know. Stay safe, brother!

There was a fatal firework accident in my city last night and the news reported an 11 year old was killed by one in the Southern Part of the state.

Yes they are fun, but they are still explosives. Treat them with the same respect you treat a loaded gun.

Several years ago I had a 3" shell misfire during a handlit show. It burst right as it left the mortar and right at the level of my shoulder. I was wearing firefighting turnout gear, a nomex hood, leather firefighting gloves, boots, and a hardhat with a face screen. I had my back to the mortar rack, crouched low, but maybe 2 feet away from the mortar. One star came under my screen and burned by cheek through the nomex hood. The turnout coat had burns along the back and I had no injuries under the coat. The hardhat had several dents in the back where it was hit by stars.

This was only a 3" shell - reloadeable shells sold in stores are 1.75" and the preloaded ones can be 2.25". All in all, the PPE and positioning worked as it was supposed to. I ended up with what amounted to a cigarette burn to a cheek. Imagine the same failure happening to someone without proper training and PPE.
Dang, Nate! Tell me about mysterious ways! It's like you were meant to save other people's lives. You are truly blessed snd charmed. Try not to push the envelope, okay?
(Heliocopters: a bunch of loose parts flying in formation held up by a superstitious belief in a nutjob holding the royal shaft.)

I remember hearing about it and seeing it on the news. Awesome display, over quickly. Was anyone hurt?

No injuries. I'm sure the guys in the barge were shocked. If I remember correctly, it was a major error in how the show was scripted and what was intended to be a final cue to fire all was programmed to run first.

I was impressed that the Fire One system could in fact fire the whole show like that. Anyone who's worked with them has probably heard them called FireNone.

Most of California allows zip fireworks... not even safe & sane. A few cities do... including the one that I lived in 10 years ago. We used to go to my wife's parent's house in Pasadena for the 4th, no fireworks there but it was always a nice family time. When we'd leave, you'd see the fireworks everywhere, and the last mile from the freeway to hour house was like driving through a war zone. Now we go to San Clemente every year for the 4th to my wife's family-trust condo on the beach, they have a spectactular show off the pier there. By the time we leave, everything is quiet.

Nashville's is pretty spectacular each year.
View attachment 525902View attachment 525902
I was invited to the "Thunder on the Bridge" or what not after the Kentucky horseraces. Didn't make it as I fired a show in a little place called Floyd Knobbs. In a Church parking lot next to the grave yard. Random dude shows up with his lawn tractor to clean up after. Hands and knees after that. I felt guilty. A very surreal night! All the tombstones had the same last name....with a few interlopers. Didn't see any corn fields nor children hanging out in them, but the natives were friendly snd ALL related to the Viking Princess' mom. I got to fish three different private 'ponds'.
The Phantom store was on a street named after them!

Last edited:
Most of California allows zip fireworks... not even safe & sane. A few cities do... including the one that I lived in 10 years ago. We used to go to my wife's parent's house in Pasadena for the 4th, no fireworks there but it was always a nice family time. When we'd leave, you'd see the fireworks everywhere, and the last mile from the freeway to hour house was like driving through a war zone. Now we go to San Clemente every year for the 4th to my wife's family-trust condo on the beach, they have a spectactular show off the pier there. By the time we leave, everything is quiet.
FWIW, there was and maybe still is a Company out there that will incorporate your ashes into a pyro show flown off the deck of a specially chartered boat off the coast of San Clemente. Had a friend whose girl friend passed snd he wanted me to do that for him and her. Had the card in my wallet and gave it to him as I (secretly) felt it would be too awkward to handle the ashes of somebody I knew in RL, and dealing with his reactions as they went off. just too hard for me to get over. She was an amazing person, bright, bubbly and deadly smart. she was an Archeoligist and was supposed to go to the site of all those Terra Cotta soldiers before she got cancer. My kids know I want to go off in a rocket and my oldest will incorporate some of what was me into some steel in a custom made sword. (Family tradition)

FWIW, there was and maybe still is a Company out there that will incorporate your ashes into a pyro show flown off the deck of a specially chartered boat off the coast of San Clemente. Had a friend whose girl friend passed snd he wanted me to do that for him and her. Had the card in my wallet and gave it to him as I (secretly) felt it would be too awkward to handle the ashes of somebody I knew in RL, and dealing with his reactions as they went off. just too hard for me to get over. She was an amazing person, bright, bubbly and deadly smart. she was an Archeoligist and was supposed to go to the site of all those Terra Cotta soldiers before she got cancer. My kids know I want to go off in a rocket and my oldest will incorporate some of what was me into some steel in a custom made sword. (Family tradition)
My BIL asked to be added to a firework too. He passed last fall and my sister asked me to start making the shell yesterday(she's just now ready for that) I know the firework is legal here but not sure about adding ashes. It'll be done regardless.

We've done a few with ashes in them in Indiana. One was a club member and builder who died from a battle of cancer. He wasn't able to build the shell himself, but he did make the stars which were used. When the tribute was done, his wife was able to push the botton on the firing system. It was the send off he wanted.

Blees my soul and I know what I've said to the whole world (okay, just TRF) but does anybody have just three paper 3" hemis I could buy? Just wanna try a thing. Viking Princess was critiquing the Fair show and pointed out an effect. She likes long hangs snd willow tails. This was a little different as it stayed in the bubble with a soft break, bright center snd almost strobe compound with white, short tails. looked a little tricky.

I didn't do fireworks this year or last---complicating factors existed---but here's what I did two years ago. 46 cakes, all consumer fireworks, almost all 500 gram, plus a dozen fountains. Fired electrically so I could watch. It was fired at my sister's cottage in PA, about a half-mile off the nearest road, right by a lake and with tons of dew in the grass, no chance of fire (I still stayed for 90 minutes after, just to make sure.)

I always get mine from a friend who's a dealer and display operator. It's great to pay $15 for a cake that goes for $80 in the tents.

1657160862706.png

Looks like the one burst set off all their fireworks.

That's why it is a bad idea to keep your fireworks near the shoot site and exposed. The open hatch was a recipe for disaster. PGI has nice ready boxes near each shooting line and product must be away from where it is being fired for this reason.

Of course if this person would have used a pipe or trough like the instructions on every firework rocket states instead of using the ground or a shoe, this would not have happened.

Seems for every good show, some clown makes the paper with a bad one, or two. I can't tell you how many times people ask me "Did you know ( insert clown, bomber, terrorist, random back yard idiot, etc.) My own boss, whom I repect, love, and trust has actually asked this twice. He certainly knows of my background, as we've been together 20 long years. I know he respects me, but still this. Depressing in it's own way.

This one seems totally fake, as 0.1 seconds after lighting it in front of a positioned camera, he over projects confusion and surprise. It was a stunt for views in my opinion.

And here's a 4th to remember...

This one seems more legit, as it seems to have poor planning and people grabbing kids to get out of the way of said poor planning and was caught by a ring camera or similar, most likely.

Either way the denominator is going down, not up. . .I thought society would end one or two generations after I was gone. . . seems like I need to reset my assumptions.

Sandy.

How about I shoot off my PML Spitfire from my back yard in a high densely populated area. Maybe put a couple M100's in the nose so it blows up and puts on a light show for everyone? Wouldn't that be fun?

BTW - Its the silver one pictured

PS - Its a nice rocket though.
Just make sure you get some pics and post em. Thanks

FWIW on firecrackers...

It may be labeled M50, M90, M100, M1000, or M-zillion. Makes little or no difference AFAIK. Consumer firecrackers in the US are permitted a maximum of 50 mg of powder (no, it's not blackpowder). No doubt some imports stretch the limit a little, and the precise composition used probably makes a little difference. (All the crackers I've ever bought clearly contain a bit of something that increases sensitivity and produces an unmistakable odor.)

And possibly a heavier-walled tube increases confinement and loudness of the report.

Regardless, the M in the name generally stands for "marketing". ;)

Best,
Terry

Latest posts

Back