Firework CATO

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soopirV

Reaction score
Was lighting off some "safe and sane" fireworks (fountains only, no flight, no bang)that are sold in AZ supermarkets, and the last one we lit burned for a half a second and then EXPLODED. Sounded like an M-80. Thankfully no one was hurt, but our ears were ringing! I left the shrapnel (cardboard) in the yard in case the police cruised by to see who was lighting off quarter sticks...just in case. My 11 y/o son pointed out that, "they ARE TNT brand, dad, maybe that's what they used?"

Shan't be buying those again, and if we do fireworks, will make the drive to NM for better quality!

My opinion, fireworks in general are a mass produced commodity and "high quality" is a relative term that doesn't really apply. One should always take great care because this sort of a failure has a reasonable chance of happening. In my admittedly limited experience, I have found these sorts of failures to be relatively common. YMMV.

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've been putting on a yearly fireworks display for some family, to the tune of $500-800 worth of (mostly) 200g and 500g class cakes and I've never had one detonate. I've never even had one that was a "dud" that had to be opened and re-fused. That being said, I use a remote ignition system now so I'm always a good distance away. It can be a PITA to get it all fused and wired up, but the end product is worth it.

You can't be too safe with things that are designed explode.

I've been doing fireworks for years. I have never had one just blow up either. I have had issues with a few of the mortar shells detonating about 10 feet off the ground. But that was one brand, years ago and hasn't happened since. And the Tylenol with wings is usually pretty random in their flight patterns and did have one of those explode a few feet off the ground. That thing was LOUD. But I find consumer fireworks to be pretty reliable.

Making fireworks is a very dirty-labour intensive endeavour. Which is primarily why most of our 'consumer grade' stuff comes from China (or thereabouts-you'd be surprised) where the minimal pay for production is a testament to the worker's skills. Mass production means there WILL be a fail rate and luckily for us it's a very small percentage. Only idiots like yours truly chase this dream as a hobby (thus the moniker). Having said that I DID have a homemade fountain (hot mix w/MgAl and Ti sponge) blow the clips completely off the remote ignition system and I'm certainly glad it wasn't a hand lit fuse (no matter how long). Be safe out there folks and enjoy your right as an American to celebrate our 4th of July freedom parties responsibly and sanely. While I will never tell anyone not to enjoy drinking-remember it does impair your judgement. Just 'cuz I have all my fingers doesn't mean I can type very well, but I don't have to answer embarrassing questions.

This year we had 2 packs of 6 (cheap)bottle rockets, and only 2 got to any sort of altitude, the other 10 had CATOs about 10 ft off the ground. We had a 9 pack of Black Cat rockets and they worked like a dream and went about 250ft.

hmmm... fireworks CATO.

How long a stick would I have to tape to the side of my L1000?

Still surprised how many big shoot/show operators are still using glue and screw wooden racks. But a 10" should be a stand alone. We use three t-post stakes strapped to the tube since we can't bury them. Still, any flower pot or low break are a dicey mess to deal with.

Last edited:
Still surprised how many big shoot/show operators are still using glue and screw wooden racks. But a 10" should be a stand alone. We use three t-post stakes strapped to the tube since we can't bury them. Still, any flower pot or low break are a dicey mess to deal with.

It was buried, 4ft. Nfpa requires 2/3 of the tube to be buried. We use nails for our racks, and tons of wood.

Back