Firefox - IE Alternative

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkt2k1

Reaction score
Anyone else using Firefox as an alternative to IE? I've been using it successfully for about 2 weeks as my primary browser. It's suppose to be safer than IE and it has some cool features including tabbed browsing. You can even setup a group of tabs (sites) as your home pages.

Here's a screen shot:

Originally posted by rkt2k1
Anyone else using Firefox as an alternative to IE? I've been using it successfully for about 2 weeks as my primary browser. It's suppose to be safer than IE and it has some cool features including tabbed browsing. You can even setup a group of tabs (sites) as your home pages.

Here's a screen shot:

I do. Tabbed browsing is wonderful, but I love the plug-in called Adblock. I can set up what sites to block images from, such as doubleclick.net, fastclick.net, and even *ads/* type wildcards. Along with the built-in popup blocking, I have never seen an unwanted ad since I started using it 6 months ago.

Originally posted by Rocketman35
i have..its ok but but ive been using Avant browser for over 2 years and it blows them all away.
check it out for yourself
https://www.avantbrowser.com/

Hmm....I laugh at this quote, touted as a "feature"

Since it's based on Internet Explorer, Avant Browser is as secure as Internet Explorer.

The main reason to switch to Firefox is to not get the gaping security flaws in IE. Avant just provides cool Firefox features to IE......seems pretty useless to me....

I've been using firefox since it was available and mozilla before that. On occassion I have to use IE as some websites are so designed for IE that other bowsers just wont work properly.
It's not so much security flaws in IE as it is that over 90% of surfers use it. Therefore its the main target of things such as spyware, adware etc. By using a non-IE browser you eliminate many of the threats. Another really good choice is Opera.
If you don't mind paying for a browser Secure-IE from winferno is an absolute must have.

I love it. I have Thunderbird too. The popup blocker actually works. It seems to run faster than Netscape. I love it!!!

I've been using Firefox since very early in the development cycles (yeah,
been thru ALL the name changes)...

Nice to have the same program an UI available on 'doze, Linux and Solaris
(all platforms I use on a daily basis).

I love the plugins - especially LiveHeaders (must have if you do any web
development) and Switch Proxy (if you use non-transparent proxies).

Same here. Count me in as a fan of Firefox and Thunderbird. Was using Mozilla before that. Haven't used IE or Outlook in quite awhile. Don't miss 'em one bit. Pop up blocking. Tabbed browsing. Safer browsing. What's not to like about Firefox??

I switched from IE to Firefox a couple months ago. I like it a lot -- especially the tabbed browsing and popup blocker.

I don't use many extensions, however, I find the "Tabbrowser Extension" essential for taking advantage of tabs.

-- Jim

I'm a fairly recent convert (6-9 months) to firefox from opera.
Now at home we mainly use firefox and thunderbird (one of the kids prefers mozilla).
At work I also use firefox, but they make me use outlook.

Is there some setting to make image files open inside of Firefox? When I'm surfing here and someone posts a picture, I have to open it using another program (like MS paint). However, if someone posts a link to a picture it comes right up in firefox. Embedded pictures in the threads work fine.

Any ideas or is this the way it is?

Thanks!

There is an update for Firefox. Seems they found a bug. Go to Tools-Options-Advanced-Software Update-Click "Check Now"

Really quick download. I have slow internet but it took me only 2 secs.
You will have to reboot Firefox though

I just downloaded Firefox. Looks real nice, and works with my website :). I like it. I just downloaded the updates. I wonder if it will fix the bug I noticed... when viewing the embeded image, it asks what you want to do. I selected what I wanted, and selected the do it all the time tab... yet, it still kept asking me.

Using Firefox right now :)

Originally posted by Omega_D
Is there some setting to make image files open inside of Firefox? When I'm surfing here and someone posts a picture, I have to open it using another program (like MS paint). However, if someone posts a link to a picture it comes right up in firefox. Embedded pictures in the threads work fine.

Any ideas or is this the way it is?

Thanks!

That's due to the way TRF is serving the attachments... Not the browsers fault.

I would agree but when I use IE the pictures are loaded into another IE window without any problem.

Firefox on Fedora2 for me at home, Firefox on Windoze at work. Fantastic brouser - the tabbed brousing is an excelent idea.

I use Thunderbird as my e-mail client at home - worth a look at if you're bombarded by spam daily, it has an integrated spam filter. Its not as powerful as The Bat (which I used to use at home), but its loads easier to use AND free! :D

I've not used Firefox, so I can't speak of what it can and can't do, but the idea of tabs came along from the originator : Netcaptor, which I use exclusively.

All I do to switch tabs is click on each tab as shown in the screenshot below. No fancy control or other keyboard combinations necessary.

the great thing about firefox is that all those auto downloads of spyware and popups and such that are designed for i.e. dont work

you just need to use i.e. for java (like chat on TRF)

the next update for mozilla should have java uses

and they have MERCHANDISE!!!

Safari is my main browser, but I do have Firefox for mac, and do use it occasionally. Pretty good.. Although, for Mac users, Safari is incredible.

Back