Fireflash

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biziedizie

Reaction score
Hi guys I was wondering what you think of this rocket? I think it's a cool looking rocket and what I want to do is buy it then scratch build one.

Steve

it's pretty cool looking but: the top section of airframe is BT-5 which is somewhat delicate; pieces that long are easily crimped. also it takes a lot of nose weight, which adds to the stress on that long BT-5.

still ... it's pretty cool looking! and there are a whole class of sounding rockets that look a lot like that. so if you are in to that look there's plenty of subjects for scratch building!

As far as the fast build part I'm not a fan of those kits but I thought it would be good to look at it and make my own from scratch and paint it with my colors. Why can't they make a kit that we can paint??

What's the deal with the nose weight? Is this an unstable rocket with out it?

I'm kinda new to rocketry so go easy on me;)

Thanks!

Steve

Originally posted by biziedizie
As far as the fast build part I'm not a fan of those kits but I thought it would be good to look at it and make my own from scratch and paint it with my colors. Why can't they make a kit that we can paint??

What's the deal with the nose weight? Is this an unstable rocket with out it?

I'm kinda new to rocketry so go easy on me;)

Thanks!

Steve

Most likely the nose weight is added to improve stability (well, I can't think of *any* other reason why you'd add nose weight to a rocket, now that I say that.)

BTW, I'm with you on the painting thing. And the dad-gummed peel-and-stick decals are simply HORRIFYING!!!!!!!!!

*VIVE LE WATERSLIDES!!!!! VIVE LE WATERSLIDES!!!!!!!!!*

<paint> ... the dad-gummed peel-and-stick decals are simply HORRIFYING!

true for teens & adults ... but for little guys ages 5-10 there's nothing better than gluing it up, putting stickers on, and flying. they can't wait 15 minutes!!

If I were to ever build another E2X Fire Flash, I'd definitely trash the pre colored BT5's and use a BT5 from BMS instead. The Estes precolored tubes simply aren't that strong. I built mine 3 years ago, stock. After 6 months the BT5 crimped under the NC weight and I ended up cutting off quite a bit of BT5 so it would stand up straight again. One could get away with using the grey BT50s included in the kit, but I would certainly replace the black BT5s.

it is true what you say about the Estes colored BTs being weaker than regular BT ... my daughter's Fireflash has the upper part of the BT50 crimped too, at the top where the reducer goes in.

Back