Fireball XL5 finished (finally)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cussler08

Reaction score
BT60 based (standoff scale) Fireball XL5 I started about 3 years ago and finally got around to finishing.

I can't wait to fly it...have wanted to fly one since I was a kid!:D

DSC00221trf.jpg

DSC00228trf.jpg

DSC00229trf.jpg

DSC00230trf.jpg

Outstanding!! What do you plan to fly it with, and is it stable as is? I loved
watching Fireball XL-5 in the early to mid 1960's when I was a kid. Those were the days before I got into model rocketry....

I've just finished one myself. (check out the scratch build forum) I haven't painted it yet.
Too cold! How did you put the crew in? Is it cut out? Depending on your answer, I may
try to do the same.

BT60 based (standoff scale) Fireball XL5 I started about 3 years ago and finally got around to finishing.

I can't wait to fly it...have wanted to fly one since I was a kid!:D

You're inspiring me to finish the bt80 to bt70 version I started a year or so ago. What did you do to build out the Fireball Jr.? I see Steve, and Robby, and the professer/engineer guy, but where's Venus?

Very nice work.

A cool rocket with a cool name.

Loved the show when I was a kid.

Outstanding!! What do you plan to fly it with, and is it stable as is? I loved
watching Fireball XL-5 in the early to mid 1960's when I was a kid. Those were the days before I got into model rocketry....
I am hoping to fly it on a C...the nose cone was the heaviest, most dense balsa I could get BMS to use for me when shaping it, so I am hopeful that will lift it to a reasonable height.

You're inspiring me to finish the bt80 to bt70 version I started a year or so ago. What did you do to build out the Fireball Jr.? I see Steve, and Robby, and the professer/engineer guy, but where's Venus?
I used info from several sources to try to get the interior of Fireball Jr. I made figures from plastic figures from models, and shaped them using a file. Seats, etc were made from scrap plastic. The floor and back wall were created using the reference material about Fireball from sources on the web. The windows were molded from the thermo plastic material, and the frames were made from auto striping tape. I made slots for the windows to make the windows fit flush with the cone.

I've just finished one myself. (check out the scratch build forum) I haven't painted it yet.
Too cold! How did you put the crew in? Is it cut out? Depending on your answer, I may
try to do the same.
Yup, I cut it out with the idea of molding a nose glass windshield. I was worried about making it happen but I was pleased with the results. I molded six and then chose one.

By the way, it's nice to be back, even as a new member after being her for 4 years!:)

Thas a gorgeous rocket and i think it needs to fly :) My compliments sir on a job well done and I hope we get to see flight pictures soon :)
Cheers
fred

"I wish I was a spaceman, the fastest guy alive..." :p Sorry, couldn't resist that! Fireball XL5 is the series that first turned me on to SF and space!
Grif

Back