Firearms Safety In The Entertainment Industry

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When a person is handed or picks up a weapon it is his or her responsibility to verify whether or not said weapon is "loaded"
The question is not whether the weapon was supposed to be loaded or empty. From reports it was supposed to be loaded with blanks. Since it was a revolver it might have been realistic looking blanks. The actor may not have been allowed to unload and check the rounds since only the armourer is allowed to load and unload the weapon. This was mentioned previously. Read the whole thread before posting.

I saw something (in the internet so there's that) that said the Director and Cinematographer wanted to reshoot the scene. Supposedly Baldwin pointed the gun at them (jokingly I'm sure, if it happened) and said how about I shoot you instead. Seems plausible but I've only seen that in one place (don't remember where). Idk... there's lots of bs out there.

Right now it's all speculative. We don't know how accurate the media reports are. The armorer claims through her lawyer that live rounds were not supposed to be on the set and she doesn't know how they got there. Let the sheriff's investigation run it's course and let's see what the facts are. Then we can talk about breaches in safety protocol. Right now it's premature.

"The question is not whether the weapon was supposed to be loaded or empty. From reports it was supposed to be loaded with blanks. Since it was a revolver it might have been realistic looking blanks. The actor may not have been allowed to unload and check the rounds since only the armourer is allowed to load and unload the weapon" I hope Baldwin's lawyer doesn't use that line of reasoning in court.

My understanding is that blanks aren’t realistic-looking; they’re crimped shut and don’t have anything resembling a projectile at the end of the casing, so they’re not suitable for shots where the front of the casings will be visible.

I also understand that the gun was supposed to have been loaded with completely inert rounds. Visually indistinguishable from live ammunition but with no primer or powder, so the calls that “hE sHoUlD hAvE cHeCkEd ThAt It WaS eMpTy!” are pretty silly in my opinion.

It was established earlier in this thread that whoever hands the gun off to an actor is supposed to demonstrate that the rounds are in fact inert by activating the firing mechanism for each cylinder while the gun is aimed at the ground, while the actor is only supposed to use it as scripted and/or directed. Whether anyone knew of the requirement to demonstrate inertness (and if they did, why they didn’t say anything when it obviously didn’t happen) will probably be determined by the investigating team.

If they determine that the armorer didn’t know, they’ll probably be investigating why she was allowed to fill that role without the proper training or experience.

This investigation will probably feature human factors very prominently. Why the people involved made mistakes, not just what mistakes they made.

A new lawsuit was filed Wednesday over the fatal shooting incident on the set of the Alec Baldwin western “Rust” that names the star and producer as a defendant. In the lawsuit filed by script supervisor Mamie Mitchell, Baldwin is accused of failing to follow the script’s direction by firing a gun when it wasn’t actually called for.

The thing I have learned most from this thread is that the 'on-set' use of firearms is obviously well thought out in most circumstances. Knowing a bit about air travel, most of the procedures are also well thought out in most circumstances, but if either industry skips a step or two, things go south very quickly.

I do feel sorry for those affected.

Sandy.

The thing I have learned most from this thread is that the 'on-set' use of firearms is obviously well thought out in most circumstances. Knowing a bit about air travel, most of the procedures are also well thought out in most circumstances, but if either industry skips a step or two, things go south very quickly.

I do feel sorry for those affected.

Sandy.
Baldwin didn't skip a step. he added a step

Surprisingly (to me) Alec Baldwin was charged today with involuntary manslaughter.
Not surprised, he was handed a fully functional handgun, failed to verify its condition (loaded or not), pointed it at someone, and they died when it went off. He's lucky its just Involuntary Manslaughter.

Surprisingly (to me) Alec Baldwin was charged today with involuntary manslaughter.

He's being charged since he was the co-producer and had some responsibility to ensure safety on the set.

Additionally, it was noted:

"Baldwin said that while working on camera angles with Hutchins, he pointed the gun in her direction and pulled back and released the hammer of the weapon, which discharged."

Those two factors combined are pretty damning.

Not surprised, he was handed a fully functional handgun, failed to verify its condition (loaded or not), pointed it at someone, and they died when it went off. He's lucky its just Involuntary Manslaughter.
He will likely be convicted of one charge due to his responsibilities as a producer and will get up to a possible 18 months and $5,000 fine. I suspect his Hollywood name will lessen that. If convicted of the second charge, he would get a 5-yr mandatory sentence. The rookie armourer will likely get thrown to the dogs even though her ammo supplier is probably the one who inserted the live ammo along with the blanks.

He will likely be convicted of one charge due to his responsibilities as a producer and will get up to a possible 18 months and $5,000 fine. I suspect his Hollywood name will lessen that. If convicted of the second charge, he would get a 5-yr mandatory sentence. The rookie armourer will likely get thrown to the dogs even though her ammo supplier is probably the one who inserted the live ammo along with the blanks.
Shouldn't the armorer be the one who checks that all of the bullets are blanks/dummy ammo before handing the gun to the actor? My memory of the rest of this thread is getting fuzzy, but that's what I thought I remembered.

She is also being charged.
I saw that, just that the post I was replying to indicated that the ammo supplier may have been the one at fault.

Based on earlier reports, it sounded like there was fault all around, with really terrible ammunition handling practices on set (mixing live and blank/dummy, among other sins). It will be interesting to see if this incident changes/changed Hollywood's typical practices for guns on set.

I’m only surprised because he’s a celebrity and I expected someone else to be blamed and charged. He definitely carried most, if not all, of the responsibility and most definitely should be charged.

If it were one of us we’d have been charged sooner, and with a lot more.

Shouldn't the armorer be the one who checks that all of the bullets are blanks/dummy ammo before handing the gun to the actor? My memory of the rest of this thread is getting fuzzy, but that's what I thought I remembered.
Yes. But from some of the stuff her legal team has been putting out is that the supplier (who supplies loads to various film armourers) hand loaded the ammo and that the blanks and real ammo were not distinguished from each other. The implication is that the supplier put in real ammo in with the blanks and that they could not be identified from each other.

Yes. But from some of the stuff her legal team has been putting out is that the supplier (who supplies loads to various film armourers) hand loaded the ammo and that the blanks and real ammo were not distinguished from each other. The implication is that the supplier put in real ammo in with the blanks and that they could not be identified from each other.
That might be a mitigating factor in sentencing but it’s not legally excusable. Production should have been suspended once it became known that there was live ammo on set.

Ooof. That's bad all around.
That might be a mitigating factor in sentencing but it’s not legally excusable. Production should have been suspended once it became known that there was live ammo on set.
IIRC, the cast was shooting the prop guns with live ammo during breaks in the filming. Plinking bottles and the like. I'm not sure if that was done the day of the incident, but still shows a pretty callous disregard for safety.

Ooof. That's bad all around.

IIRC, the cast was shooting the prop guns with live ammo during breaks in the filming. Plinking bottles and the like. I'm not sure if that was done the day of the incident, but still shows a pretty callous disregard for safety.
I heard that rumour too. I don't know what to make of it but if true it would fly in the face of the armourer saying how she was securing the firearms at all times.

I heard that rumour too. I don't know what to make of it but if true it would fly in the face of the armourer saying how she was securing the firearms at all times.
I suppose we'll have an opportunity to separate a lot of rumor from fact once people get up on the stand under oath. Not that people don't commit perjury, but most lawyers encourage them to just shade the truth most favorably.

I heard a report that the script didn’t call for him to pull the trigger, so there really wasn’t a reason it needed to be a real gun loaded with blanks anyway. He should never have pulled the trigger, so yeah he’s responsible.

It’s like someone texting while driving, causes a collision, and they kill someone. It’s clearly involuntary manslaughter.

I’m still skeptical. He’s been charged but not found guilty or sentenced. It’s far from a sure thing.

I still do not understand in this day and age of CGI why in the world it is even remotely necessary to point at anyone a fake gun or gun loaded with blanks. Ever.

How in the world does an armorer not know a live round with a bullet at the front of the casing from a blank? Even I'm not that danged unobservant! I just had a look on "teh intarwebz" and this is the only blank that looks remotely like a live round, and danged sure an armorer should know better.
1674184118412.png

I still do not understand in this day and age of CGI why in the world it is even remotely necessary to point at anyone a fake gun or gun loaded with blanks. Ever.

Lots of people questioned the necessity for this.

How in the world does an armorer not know a live round with a bullet at the front of the casing from a blank? Even I'm not that danged unobservant! I just had a look on "teh intarwebz" and this is the only blank that looks remotely like a live round, and danged sure an armorer should know better.
View attachment 558201
As has been discussed here previously, it’s for precisely this reason that they have photorealistic dud ammo when working with revolvers. You can see the rounds in the cylinder from some angles and they have to look the part. Apparently some real bullets found their way on set and that combined with the carelessness of everybody in the causality chain to produce a fatality.

Lots of people questioned the necessity for this.

As has been discussed here previously, it’s for precisely this reason that they have photorealistic dud ammo when working with revolvers. You can see the rounds in the cylinder from some angles and they have to look the part. Apparently some real bullets found their way on set and that combined with the carelessness of everybody in the causality chain to produce a fatality.
Well, I apologize, then, I did miss that.

Back