Fire Fox-SHX

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonypv

And so it begins...
Reaction score
This is my Fire Fox-SHX that I just finished last week.
The decals that came with this kit are just printed label paper. The printing was not good at all.
There was ghosting and the colors were weak.
I scanned the decals and fixed them in Photoshop and printed them on some label paper.
All things considered I think they look pretty good.

Plan on flying it this Sat at the next CMASS launch.

Fire Fox-SHX 1 sm.jpg

Fire Fox-SHX 2 sm.jpg

Fire Fox-SHX 3 sm.jpg

It is low and slow on a D-12-3 but everyone loves the big parachute recovery. Launch on a low wind day and it will fly nice and straight. One spectator commented he had never seen a more beautiful recovery as the SHX slowly drifted back over the pad and gently landed in the parking lot amongst the crowd. Carry a Black Sharpie to fill in the numerous paint dings on all the edges and you will certainly win an order of merit from the Party Boss. Good Luck Comrade.

Great job! I usually see them with the underfin backwards, yours is correct.

Guess I'll have to wait now for North Korea to collapse for more "fallen empire" designs...

Soory about the less that perfect decals, Tim is usually very good at details like that.

In case you haven't seen my commercial for the SHX Firefox, here is the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VxqcUzehMQ

Last edited:
Great job! I usually see them with the underfin backwards, yours is correct.

Guess I'll have to wait now for North Korea to collapse for more "fallen empire" designs...

Soory about the less that perfect decals, Tim is usually very good at details like that.

In case you haven't seen my commercial for the SHX Firefox, here is the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VxqcUzehMQ

Thanks.
Well...actually I did put the underfin on backwards. :blush:
As soon as I noticed it I ripped it off and reattached it the right way.

Looks good, Tony!
I just skipped the decals completely on mine, and painted it flat black to give it that U-2/SR-71/F-117 kind of look. Made for an easy finishing job! Flew nicely on an E18 RMS; can't remember what delay I used - probably a -4.

Beautiful work as always Tony.
Saw one of these fly at NSL2009, and it does look good low and slow.

Hey Shrox, I like the split tube effect, very creative.

...Soory about the less that perfect decals, Tim is usually very good at details like that....
A fellow in our club showed one of these last year, and we were both surprised at the quality of the so-called decals. Very disappointing, and un-Apogee like. This design deserves better. I realize a white substrate is needed for this kit, so it could be changed to silk-screened decals, Alps decals, or even laser/inkjet printed decals on white water-slide paper.

In any case, nice job tony! This is real head-turner.

Thanks Layne.

Thanks dpower
Here is what the decals that came with the kit look like and after I "fixed" them in Photoshop.

FireFox-decal-scan sm.jpg

FireFox-decal sm.jpg

Beautiful work as always Tony.
Saw one of these fly at NSL2009, and it does look good low and slow.

Hey Shrox, I like the split tube effect, very creative.

hehheh.. no doubt shrox is king of the split tube, his designs are usually unmistakeable

I saw this rocket at our Saturday launch, and all I can say is the photos as good as they look don't do it justice! That is one FINE looking rocket!

Flew the Fire Fox Saturday on a E18-4.
Great flight! I could her it hum after burn out. Another club member said he heard it too.
Didn't get a launch shot, the motor was slow to ignite.

Fire Fox otp sm.jpg

Flew the Fire Fox Saturday on a E18-4.
Great flight! I could her it hum after burn out. Another club member said he heard it too.
Didn't get a launch shot, the motor was slow to ignite.

Where can I get one?

At $7.00 a throw I have been using Aerotech's Single Use E15-4 from valuerockets.com. The SHX rocks on the E30-4. After five or six flights I did get some damage to the upper centering ring where the Kevlar shock cord was attached. With the big chute this area gets a lot of stress so I added some elastic to the cord for some flexibility. The oversized chute does make for a nice recovery, mine floated gently down just over our heads and landed softly on a hard parking surface. But if there is any wind she will drift into the next county

More great shots Craig! :)

I've flown the Fire Fox twice so far on E18-4s. Great motor for this rocket.

Here's my shot.

Fire Fox 3lo sm.jpg

E18-4 can be obtained from just about any Aerotech vendor(casing not included). ;)

Tony flew his Firefox at NARAM 51 this past weekend. Nice looking bird.

I was just joking about where to get the Firefox. Those are some good shots there of it in flight

Back