Fins

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best rocket for jr cert

• PML Small Endeavor

• PML Amraam 2

• BD Excel

• BD Stealth

• BSD Horizon 3

• BSD Horizon 4

• PML Small Endeavor

• PML Amraam 2

• BD Excel

• BD Stealth

• BSD Horizon 3

• BSD Horizon 4

Results are only viewable after voting.
I voted "foward swept" as I *do* like that, but....

there is a WHOLE lotta fin shapes that don't meet the criteria of "normal" nor "forward swept"... ...and my philisophy (i have it on a t-shirt :) ) is "why be normal" anyway...

I like performance so I chose normal. Why fly at all when you don't fly on the edge??? That's my new philosphy.:D

I don't think forward swept fins are used enough in rocketry. It always seems like the forwad swept fins are more radical and make a rocket look "cooler." That's my opinion anyways.

I started to answer "forward swept" but changed my mind - although "forward swept" would be the closest to my preferences.

I like rockets to be more "unconventional" in configuration. Not to the point of being "odd-rocs", but lets say like fin-tube combos, multi-angle fins, multiple sets of fins, and more than just 3 or 4 fins (why not 5 or 6 small ones?) "Forward swept" would fall into a broader category of "unconventional" that I prefer.

To take it a step further - I build a rocket because it has a cool factor for me. Whatever that factor is, it's there in every rocket I choose to build. It could be a simple 3 or 4 FNC but with great artwork (decals) and nostalgic value. It could be a great looking "unconventional" rocket. I think the high altitude stuff is "cool", but for me I have to be looking for a rocket for that purpose. I generally pic rockets that are "cool" for looks primarily.

what about round fins? are they swept foward or backwards?

that'll keep you guys occupied :D

I like curved ones too. My favorite ones are elliptical but swept back a tad. Very cool looking.

Originally posted by rabidsheeep
what about round fins? are they swept foward or backwards?

that'll keep you guys occupied :D

Not really....

If the center of area of the fin is not (at least axially) in the exact same location as the midpoint of the root chord of said fin, that fin is swept (with the determination of "forward" or "rearward" made upon the relation of said fin's center of area's location relative to the midpoint of the root chord.)

The peremeter shape of the fin is irrelevant, however it *may* complicate the computation of the center of area.

;)

Originally posted by GL-P
I like curved ones too. My favorite ones are elliptical but swept back a tad. Very cool looking.

How about curved ones, swept way back?
horizontal.jpg

Agreed. That poll is a bit too restrictive. I like more normal fins, since I know that it'll work, but I'll build/fly anything!

Jason

I'm with silverleaf: it depends on the model. Swept forward are kewl but don't alway fit the purpose... oval and eleptical can also be pretty nice, but these just look fast;)

I voted for normal though forecheck encapsulated my Fin thoughts pretty much. I also like the tubers and models that look "cool". And as others have also voiced...I like the fins that keep it flying straight.

Andy

Originally posted by Tarc3
Which type fins so you like best?

The ones that work best for the design and the mission, and are still there afterwards.

Back