Finishing Thoughts

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hospital_Rocket

Reaction score
Has anyone tried using monokote or other heat sealable coverings on rocket airframes. I realize that it would probably shred on anything even approaching supersonic, however at lower speeds, let say up to 500mph if properly applied it should work.

Seems to me like it would be a very easy way to get a heck of a finish on the airframe and on the fins.

Oh he who knows little comes forth to speak:)

Seems from threads that I have read that a number of people do infact use the monokote to finish rockets. Also factory made ready to fly rockets come with monokote on them instead of paint. From what I gleam, one wants to spray a good clear coat over the monokote to help keep it down.

Now someone that actually knows something might speak. :)

Correct twowalks:
also adhesive backed monocoat, or other mylar and Vinyls can be used as it without the clear overcoat. tick to putting them down without bubbles is a wetting agent consisting of 2 drops of dish washing liquid in a pint of water. shake well, spray on the entire adhesive side and the surface to be covered. apply slide it around until it where you want it then squeegee out the water, Leave it alone for about an hour, than re-squeegee to insure complete contact.

Here is a picture of my scratch boost glider, I used monocote on the airframe for the yellow, blue, and orange. Has held up for a couple of flights so far. It is on the right hand side, with one of the gliders detached to show it.

David, maybe we should put a little monocote rim on the OCD birds; call it a durability test of the Monokote!:D

I'm expecting the paint to be gone from the leading edges on those suckers... I'd doubt Monokote would stand a chance there! Though we could do it and then document it on video... with the accelerometer on board, we could see what the maximum "speed of monokote" is :D Hmmmm....

Back