Quantcast

Finishing Estes Saucers?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Kruegon

Reaction score
My wife and I picked up a set of Blenders and I'm looking at a Quinstar. Both seem to be made of balsa. I do like a nice clean finish. And wood grain does not make for nice or clean finishes.

What method would you recommend for finishing these? I like using wood filler, but I'm worried about how much weight it would add. And I've never papered balsa before, so not sure I should start here for a first try. But I will if it's the best option.

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
For color you might try RIT dye that is mixed with rubbing alcohol instead of water... If you use a Sharpie, know that the alcohol can make it smear (as does Aerogloss)

JohnRE

Reaction score
Tissue, cellulose dope or sanding sealer and off you go. Weight should not be a worry as these are the traditional materials for old stick and tissue aircraft. Adds strength too.

neil_w

Marginally Stable
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I sprayed my Quinstar with Rusto 2x right on the bare balsa, something I would never do except that John Boren recommended it. I have to say it really looks fine, although obviously not like the fully sealed and primed (and papered) jobs I do on other rockets. My finished weight came out quite close to the face card spec.

Dyes and Sharpie will show the grain much worse than a good dose of rattle can paint.

Papering the entire Quinstar would not be practical, but you definitely *could* paper the top surfaces that get the decals. I thought of doing that but ultimately decided against it.

hcmbanjo

Reaction score
On my Quinstar I compromised.
All the surfaces that face up got the grain filled. This requires that you fill those areas before assembly.
Filling the face up pieces did strengthen them a bit.
The face up "flats" were also the surfaces that get the decals.

The sides and interior vertical cage pieces were lightly sanded between paint coats.
I should say, all the areas I could easily reach were lightly sanded.
The estimated weight (from the Estes website) says .8 oz. My Quinstar weighs .85 oz.

I also launch mine with D12 engines so I really concentrated on fillets.
There are a couple areas where the cage sides could feel loose.
Here's the entire build: https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/search/label/E Quinstar

Last edited:

neil_w

Marginally Stable
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I also launch mine with D12 engines so I really concentrated on fillets.
There are a couple areas where the cage sides could feel loose.
Yeah, I filleted the heck out of every spot where two pieces of wood came anywhere near each other, in anticipation of D flights. We'll eventually see if it was enough (still sitting on 0 N/s for this year, which means my Quinstar and Cyclone and Diamond Cutter are yet unflown and I think my head is going to explode :bang:.)