Finishing Epoxy?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question for someone that has been in this hobby for a while. I have never fiberglassed an airframe or fins where finishing epoxy is used. My question is. Is finishing epoxy just a slow drying epoxy or more of a specialty epoxy? I have though of using it on the nosecone on my Richter Recker. Since it comes down nose first I thought it may provide some extra nosecone protection. Thanks
Larry

Larry,

Finishing epoxy is in a near watery state. This makes it great for penetrating deeper into fabrics as well as woods like Balsa. It is also a sandable epoxy, if you use Bob Smith 20 minute finishing epoxy.

Pics dude, I will be starting on the RR after Christmas as well...

Johnnie Paul

Larry, If you've not done so, do a search on this subject here on TRF. A fair amount of posts about finishing epoxy should come up.

Pics dude, I will be starting on the RR after Christmas as well...

Johnnie Paul [/B][/QUOTE]

I usually don't take any pictures while building. I don't know why, but I don't.

The RR is a whole lot of rocket in one bag. I really didn't think it was that big:eek:

I am making a few changes, but more about that when I know they will work. The changes I can tell about now are as follows.
I went with E motor mounts. Which all I did was to get some E hooks from Thrust Aero,and use an E engine to set the thrust rings. I can still use D engines by adding a 1" spacer above the D engine. I'd rather do it that way than to have to friction fit and tape in the Es. I'm also going to use a couple of ThrustAero Nylon chutes.

One thing I found in construction was that when the couplers are glued into the tubes I get some bumps and dips in the body tubes. I'm not sure if its because the couplers are not real tight in the tubes and the glue(white glue) softens the cardboard tubing and leaves it bumpy, or what. I did use epoxy on the two bottom tubes, and the balsa plug. Those joints turned out smooth.
This is one big rocket, and I can't wait to get it done and see it take to the sky on three motors:D

Darian,
I will do the search. THANKS
Larry

White glue/wood glue tends to shrink a bit - that's probably what you see in your "bumps and dips."

You might want to steer clear of "white glue" when it comes to rocketry.Its thinner more creamier texture may cover nice at first but in time the glue joints will begin to seperate due to shrinkage. As for finishing epoxy, I have probably used a couple of gallons in the course of time and I wouldn't use anything else, however finishing epoxy is for just that,"Finishing". I wouldn't highly recommend using "just" finishing epoxy when glassing a rocket. Its not really as strong as a 20-30 minute epoxy, which I normally use on the first couple of coats. A nice leveling sand, then and only then do I use the finishing epoxy. The results are incredible.Superstrong, yet a great finish to put paint on.
Just my 2 cents~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>>=====> Good luck..Fly High

Watch yourself there, Nite. Heretics who suggest that white glue is possibly not the best adhesive in the whole wide world for model rockets can find some grief around here. Personally, I agree that there are better choices. Some might even be better than wood glue.

Question. Is the Bob smith finishing epoxy and the Greatlakes epoxy finishing resin the same stuff?
I was in a hobby shop yesterday( the closest is 90miles away) and they didn't have finishing epoxy. In fact they hadn't even heard of it. All they had was fiberglass resin. They looked up Greatlakes and mentioned the epoxy finishing resin and asked if that was it. I said I thought it was, but was unsure. I sure wish we had a hobby shop closer:(
Larry

No clue here, but I doubt it. I've noticed that even the Great Lakes 30 min. epoxy is far different than Bob Smith 30 minute, so I cringe at trying to make a comparison of finishing epoxies. When I'm using epoxy, the consistency is far more important to me as a rule than the cure time, and Great Lakes 30 min. epoxy is the same thick consistency as Bob Smith 5 min. epoxy. Not what I was hoping for when I needed more 30 min. epoxy. :(

At any rate, your hobby store probably also works with Zap!. They have a finishing epoxy that I've used many times before I moved up to US Composites. Good stuff. See if they can get a hold of that.

Back