Finishing a Deltee Thunder?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KermieD

Reaction score
Just got a Deltee Thunder kit at NARCON. I know they tend to advise not to finish these kits, but there's just so much lumber in there that it's hard to pass up. I'm not looking to actually put a protective finish on it, but does anyone know what the weight penalty (or other downside) would be if I just put a thin stain on it?

Originally posted by KermieD
Just got a Deltee Thunder kit at NARCON. I know they tend to advise not to finish these kits, but there's just so much lumber in there that it's hard to pass up. I'm not looking to actually put a protective finish on it, but does anyone know what the weight penalty (or other downside) would be if I just put a thin stain on it?

I'm really considering this kit for my collection. I have seen the old orange magic marker finish at a couple of meets. Keep us informed during the build process...:D

I don't think a few(2-3) 50/50 coats of nitrate or other dope would hurt it all that much ........ I might add that minwax polyacrylic will also work just as good as dope without the associated brain cell killing odor.......plus you can cut it with good old fashioned water and clean up with water....

Kermie:
Robert Edmonds really discourages even 50/50 clear applications. I Magic markered mine and he had a fit before I launched it. it seperated, sort of leveled off and nose dived in..I have no photos because I have to build another... the Pods still OK;)
Finish at your own risk...

I wasn't even looking to do a 50/50 type of thing. I was literally just talking about an unfinished stain to make it look more like it was built out of mahogany or something like that.

Do you think it was actually the magic markering that produced that flight profile?

Kermie:
I didn't think so while I was markering the model... I did the same thing with a micro version of the deltie without any adverse effect, In fact I've gotten outstanding flight times from the micro. 3 minutes plus in still air!!!:) but on a standard deltie I markered the vertical stabs and center spar.. it never got good flight times, an untouched (other than small Nar number) of the same model for the same sheet of balsa.. fly's fine.. It's TRUELY a mystery to me... but Robert had his Deltie thunder that flew the same afternoon perfectly...I think I'd go with the stain if you want...I'm going to do something to mine when I rebuild.. Just not all that marker...I really did go a little overboard:( I just can't imagine that was the problem.. NO other reasoning was given by the way after the crash.. just "NOT do that on the replacement"! Guess their ment to be flown naked:D

Back