Finished!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbeckey

Reaction score
I finished a clone of the Estes 1279 Nike Ajax this evening. Of course, it is still naked. Now I know why I never built one before. There are a total of 18 fins or finlets, plus four strips that run full length of the upper stage between the fins. What a bear.
I did upgrade to 24mm. The rocket weighs 3.65 oz. naked and dry after adding 1/2 oz nose weight. It sims to 385 feet on a C6-3, 707 feet on a D12-5 and 1323 feet on an E9-6. It is stable on the E9-6.
I got the NC and transition from BMS, the strips are spruce and the engine hook I made from the metal strips in an old windshield wiper. The larger upper and lower fins are cut from 1/8 lite ply and the smaller upper stage fins are balsa. The weight is lead shot imbedded in epoxy putty in the short BT20 section above the transition. All gluing was done with CA and I might put small fillets on the lower fins for strength. If it looks as good as I hope after it is painted, I might just fly it once on a D and retire it to display. Hope to get a picture soon. Keep forgetting to "borrow" that digital camera from work for "practice."

Shame on you. Get the camera ASAP. Make this a x-rated thread by posting some nekkid pics :D

Tis rocket flies great on D motors. I converted my original 1970's kit to D power this spring when the original motor mount blew out:

I used the TA2050 transition and the BNC20N From BMS. The other parts are common BT55, BT50, BT20 and various centering rings and such. And sandpaper. Lots of sandpaper.

rbeckey,

Do a "Bill of Materials" list. patterns and such and do an article for

https://www.rocketreviews.com/

This will allow everyone to do a fabulous model of the cold war era.

I remember in the early fifties going to Belle Isle in the Detroit River to go swimming and the zoo, we always had to go drive by the Nike Ajax missle batteries set up on the North end of the island.

They were there to protect Detroit from Soviet bomber attack.

sandman

Heck, I'd be glad to post a review, but I just downloaded everything from JimZ's site and went from there. It was all laid out for me. I believe the transition and NC are the closest approximation currently available, and the only thing that is not standard on mine (besides the 24mm mount) is a ring above the three upper stage supports. I used a 55/50 motor mount ring, as I tried and failed to fabricate a cardboard 55/50 centering ring, and could not locate them online. The rest was just patience, and sandpaper. Lots of sandpaper.
I have an Honest John NC from BMS that is up next. After that, well, lets just say that I finally figured out how to make those "jet intake" NCs from a Bomarc. :cool:

DO it!

There is a place for it in the Clones section on EMRR.

A clone article would go over great.

Heck, the old kits go for a fortune on Ebay!

sandman

Here is a picture of my Nike Ajax, finished last night.

I'm not a big fan of military scale but, I have a special place in my heart for the Nike Ajax. It was a remnant of the cold war, my early childhood, and the basis for a LOT of really cool sounding rockets!

I love it...now some paint and she's gonna be sweet...although nekked rockets are purdy too!

sandman

The Nike looks great!! Please send us pics when you have painted and decaled her up. It should look much more impressive than my battered old bird. I will say that the 12" parachute is just right for this rocket on D power. The BIG 'first stage' fins can take many an abrupt landing.

I like the detailing job on the nike, rbecky..!
good job ,post more pics please....

sty

I submitted a review, RocSim file and picture to EMRR for this model. Nick says it will be posted in the next upload. Of course, I added "Courtesy of the Rocketry Forum" to the article.

Back