Finished up a Baby Bertha today

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OG1959

Reaction score
My Baby Bertha is done. šŸ˜Ž

This build was fun and brought back some memories. Big Bertha was one of my first big rockets. I built one in 1971 and it was painted orange. It was the first rocket I built that went up slow and it was impressive. It nearlty landed in a river once but a sudden updraft saved it and it got to dry land!
I like the way this one looks. Short, fat, ready to fly!

I used DAP PlasticWood filler on the fins, sanded them smooth and glued them on with CA glue. After that cured I used the same CA glue to make the fillets. They laid out fairly smooth. I masked everything off and painted the white fins first, then masked them off and painted the black. I used Krylon Fusion all in one paint/primer. I like this stuff. Lays down nice, dries fairly fast. After a first coat I dry sanded with 320 then applied a second coat. After an overnight dry I peeled the tape off the white areas, did a final sand with 400 then applied a coat of DupliColor matte finish clear. After some drying time I applied the decals, sanded a few spots with 400 again and gave it a final coat of matte clear. I really like the matte finish and I'm very pleased with the fillets. I won't be putting the pin stripes on the fins. I like it as is.

IMG_20210804_204738365.jpg IMG_20210804_204811050.jpg

Last edited:
What! Someone built a Baby Bertha AS a Baby Bertha and not a Goonie?!

Yours looks great! Nice job!

Back