Finished up a Baby Bertha today

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

OG1959

Reaction score
My Baby Bertha is done. 😎

This build was fun and brought back some memories. Big Bertha was one of my first big rockets. I built one in 1971 and it was painted orange. It was the first rocket I built that went up slow and it was impressive. It nearlty landed in a river once but a sudden updraft saved it and it got to dry land!
I like the way this one looks. Short, fat, ready to fly!

I used DAP PlasticWood filler on the fins, sanded them smooth and glued them on with CA glue. After that cured I used the same CA glue to make the fillets. They laid out fairly smooth. I masked everything off and painted the white fins first, then masked them off and painted the black. I used Krylon Fusion all in one paint/primer. I like this stuff. Lays down nice, dries fairly fast. After a first coat I dry sanded with 320 then applied a second coat. After an overnight dry I peeled the tape off the white areas, did a final sand with 400 then applied a coat of DupliColor matte finish clear. After some drying time I applied the decals, sanded a few spots with 400 again and gave it a final coat of matte clear. I really like the matte finish and I'm very pleased with the fillets. I won't be putting the pin stripes on the fins. I like it as is.

IMG_20210804_204738365.jpg
IMG_20210804_204811050.jpg

Last edited:

smstachwick

LPR/MPR sport flier with an eye to HPR and scale
Reaction score
Nice!
The Baby Bertha might be my all time favorite design. Happy flying!

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Nice!

Have a great flight!

teepot

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The Big Bertha was my first big rocket as well. It was off to the races after that.

messedupryan

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I love me some Bertha! Though possibly more important, whats in the glass? 🤣

mach7

Reaction score
What! Someone built a Baby Bertha AS a Baby Bertha and not a Goonie?!

Yours looks great! Nice job!