Finished painting my Mars Lander!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zack Lau

Reaction score
After 2-1/2 years, I finally finished painting and decaling
my Kosrox clone of the Mars Lander.

It is painted with glossy white Krylon, acrylic international
orange, and acrylic silver.

The leg assembly is attached to the shroud with four
black 4-40 button head cap screws.

Crap...now I'll have to dig mine out and start building!

Great Job!!

sandman

Kosrox supplied parts for building either a 24mm or 18mm lander. While building the Papa Tango Lander, I noticed the laser cut gear housings were too narrow for the legs I built :mad:

So, I decided to build yet another lander, this time for 18mm
engines. Here is a collection of subassemblies for yet another
lander :)

The leg struts are made of 3/32 thick Stitka spruce. To save weight, I covered the 3/32" thick balsa legs with orange Japanese tissue.

The shrouds were assembled using an old bottle of CA for plastic--it is a little more flexible than normal CA. Its age made it a lot thicker than normal--no danger of it squirting out of the bottle.
I used 110 lb cardstock purchased from Walmart. I used the cut twice method--get close with the first one, and make adjustments to get the second one right. ;) The white centering rings were cut out of 5 ply Bristol board purchased from Jerry's Artarama--they have store just a few miles away!

Originally posted by Zack Lau
After 2-1/2 years, I finally finished painting and decaling
my Kosrox clone of the Mars Lander.

It is painted with glossy white Krylon, acrylic international
orange, and acrylic silver.

The leg assembly is attached to the shroud with four
black 4-40 button head cap screws.

Absolutely Awesome!
The Lander has always been one of the premier futuristic models ever designed! Your Kosrox clone is just wonderful to look at. I still have an original in the box and one started as a replacement of one I crashed some 30+ years ago. It still sits about 1/4 complete in a box somewhere in the basement, you may have inspired me to finally take the time to finish the job:D
Great job!

Now that I'm in a cold climate, I've got alot of winter build time coming up, and one of my projects is to pull some fiberglass pieces out of an epoxy mold for a 2X upscale I got from an ebay auction that Shadoaero put up for sale. Hopefully I can get my garage warm enough to get the polyester resin to kick properly....

Al

I finished the 18mm version. Weighs 120g--a little heavy for C6-3s so I'm planning to use a piston for a little more speed off the rod.

Beautiful work, Zack!
I've got an Outlander and an old R2-D2 for the BT that I someday will make into a Lander.
Drew Tomko

After adding nose weight, my 18mm version weighed in at 5.7g, a little heavy for a C6-3 and a single 18 inch chute. I added another 18 inch chute and launched it off a piston!

It really moves with a piston--pretty good boost in 5mph wind. Ejection was a little after apogee. Both chutes opened, but it was moving a little too fast horizontally, and landed on its side. Guess I'll have to launch it again until I get it right ;)

Back