Finished my Launch Missile

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosko_racer

Reaction score
I just finished giving two coats of Future to my Launch Magazine Missile. It is a pretty straight up built except for the tail fins which is probably the most interesting part to build. The tail ring with the slots makes it easier to keep the fins in place. Everything else goes into place according to the instructions. Covered the NC and reducer with two coats of CA, lightly sanded between coats, then covered with Elmer's Wood Filler. I used EWF also on the fins and they came out pretty nice. Keep the edges "squared" for a more "missile" look; I am not looking for performance on this rocket. Used 15 minute epoxy to fillet the fins. I also used CA on the tail fins (after the MM was glued in place) to add some strength since they are made of fiber stock (cardboard), not balsa. This also helps the paint to cover the area better since the carboard will suck in the paint. Two coats of white primer and two coats of gloss white for the rocket. Used yellow on the NC because I thought it looked too plain to me just being all white. I went a little overboard with the fillets so the decals that go over the fins did not fit right. I gave the decals two coats of Decal Liquid film, not good, should have given it just one coat because they turned out too thick (mental note: only one coat for now on...)

Only one thing on mine: I followed the instructions for the placement of the engine ring set (the two centering rings and the tail fins) and the fins were about 1/16" pass the end of the BT-20. According to the instructions there were to be "flushed" with the end of the BT. I was going to trim the ends but I kinda like the "open mouth with teeth" look of the end of the rocket.

It is a nice and clean-looking model that has joined the ranks of the very few "NC & 4-fin" rockets I have in my collection. The instructions are very clear and the building materials are excellent. Thanks Launch Magazine and Semroc for such a well executed and great model. :) :clap:

DSC00036.jpg

DSC00037.jpg

DSC00039.jpg

DSC00040.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice looking model!! I think mine just moved up a bit in the que.

Only one thing on mine: I followed the instructions for the placement of the engine ring set (the two centering rings and the tail fins) and the fins were about 1/16" pass the end of the BT-20. According to the instructions there were to be "flushed" with the end of the BT. I was going to trim the ends but I kinda like the "open mouth with teeth" look of the end of the rocket.

My guess is you put the centering ring below the mark, rather than above it. It gives it an interesting look, the way yours came out!

It is a nice and clean-looking model that has joined the ranks of the very few "NC & 4-fin" rockets I have in my collection. The instructions are very clear and the building materials are excellent. Thanks Launch Magazine and Semroc for such a well executed and great model.

Yep, it's a really nice kit! This is the first Semroc kit I've built, and I'm very pleased by it.

-Kevin

Second kudo on the yellow n/c. It compliments the decals quite well.

Great looking rocket you've got there!

Thank you guys for the nice comments on the rocket. I built it to burn time while I started recovery from surgery. I hope to fly it withing the next two weekend and will post comments and pictures of the event.

Another positive vote for the yellow nose cone....gives it the look of an Estes or Centuri classic. Nice job Raul.

Back