Finicky Flying Jenny

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi guy's
I'm in the process of downscaling the OLD 1964 flying Jenny bi-wing boost/glider. I have a couple questions for any of you Ol'e timers that may have build and flown these little darlings.

Instructions indicate addition of a "sliver" of standard ncw-1 nose or tail weight. My question..Is the design finicky in trimming. I'm awful at getting gliders into proper trim. This on has been downscaled to .375" (T-3) body tube.. Really pretty cool looking, with a turned hardwood nosecone. I won't be pushing any lead into the tip of this nose to adjust the balance:D

Second had anyone flown a Jenny with a streamered ejecting motor or pod? If the pod thing becomes a problem, I'll reduce the model further to .281" dia:)

NO pics yet, I'll take some after turning the nose:D

Micro,

The old Jenny was always a great little flyer for me, and I probably made four or five of the things. (That was a few years ago)

It seemed to have some secret design quirk where it always flew great, in many cases fresh off the build board before adding ANY ballast. I only ever had to add a smear of ballast clay here or there; did not use lead weights. I would encourage you to build and play with one full size before micro-sizing; I suspect you might run into some scale effects when trying to make a very small version (I am addressing the King of MMX, aren't I?)

One thing that puzzled me was that the Jenny always seems to find out how to get 'right side up' before it glides back. Looks like it ought to fly upside down as well, but I don't recall ever seeing it do that.

I used the standard motor pod config, and never made provisions for a streamer. If (when) I build another (someday), I will do it the same way, but you have me curious now as to how: where in the heck is there room to pack a streamer in that thing?

Hey, Micro,

It's not like it takes a ton of balsa to build! Especially in the sizes you like...(Hmmm, nickname Micro, tiny rockets...Hmmm?)

Build a couple of different versions...heck you can make 'em out of scraps!

Ya got nothing to lose but balsa chips! LOL!

sandman:D

If I use T-3 or 10.5mm tubeing with a motor ejection pod, I'll wrap a 2" piece of 1/2" wide teflon tape between the fibreboard centering rings. motor and pod will shoot out the back before unfurling.. I Hope:)
Sort of like the ejection pods on the Swing Wing Glider and the Crusader Swing Wing.....Also Micro's in the works:D

Powder:
Your right! I should build another full size 18mm Jenny. Like you it's been about 38 years since I built one... But I can't for the life me remember flying it... suffering from the C.R.S. disease:D
Thanks for the trim data:)
I've already got the .375" model built. I'm planning on turing the nose cone this afternoon. with any luck at all I'll be flying it tomarrow morning.

The Flying Jenny is one of my favourite models. I've found that they're not very good in the wind but when it glides right it looks really good. I think my most enjoyable rocket flight ever was when I was at K-Lob and I put my 18mm Flying Jenny up. She did a spectacular circular glide right over the flight line I heard people people in the crowd say things like 'beuatiful' and 'best model of the day.'

I plan on upscaling a Flying Jenny which will have to use a pod so I'm interested to hear how you get on.

Finished the T3 size and adjusted the patterns for both 448" and .281" Tubes, but they'll have to wait for another building day:).
took T3 size to the field for same test tosses, Powder Just like you she only needed a bit of tail clay to get a fairly decent toss. the wind was picking up so I didn't fly it. that will have to wait for tomorrow.
The pod seems to work fine with 2 centering rings and the .281" motor tube cut to fit the inside length of the T3 body, I taped 4" of 1/2" yellow teflon tape between the rings.. we'll see how it flys in the morning. along with some Micro Powered PARASOL recovery models... test flights before committing to the Micro-Mary Poppin's, Umbrella recovery model:)

Heres a quick pic.

Micro,
Did you just use felt-tip markers for color? '
I vaguely remember getting a substantial trim/balance change if you try to spray paint all that acreage. I think I used butyrate dope on most of mine.
Did you still make the wings as flat planks (no airfoil), with rounded edges?
With a standing hand toss, about how far does it glide?

Nope! all I had on hand was 1/32" Basswood, so that's what she is.
Yes, just magic markers sealed with krylon workable fixatif #1306.. We had a great deal of snow last weekend and almost 3inches of rain thursday night, I'm expecting the field to be kinda sloppy:(
into a light breeze after adding a little clay, I go about 15 to 18 feet, looked fairly straight but I was fighting the breeze. I tried tossing her straight up like I used to do with competition gliders to see the transition but NO dice on this little one... guess we'll have to wait on a real boost:)
Hot diggity.. a Launching we will go..cold but Launching we will go.

Hail King MMX! Hail King MMX! jk

No but seriously with all your little whoits, whatits, thingamajigs, thingamabobs why don't you go into business. Cause man you set the bar on MMX.

Thanks for the kind words MK:
At some future date I may, Right now I'm having to much fun, to muck it up trying to produce kits that people would buy, at a price they would spend for these little wonders:)

As for the MM Flyin Jenny. We had a great flying day, every if the temp never broke 40 degrees f. As usual my trimming job the other day wasn't good enough to have a decent glide, but she boosted straight as an arrow, the ejection pod with 8" x 1/2" yellow teflon streamer worked perfectly. She needs a little more tail weight (Should have thought to hollow out the hardwood dowel I turned for the nose cone...DA!) I'll be sure to do that on the .448" and .281" models:) It was just to cold to get the clay to soften enought to stick on the wing:(....so I didn't get to fly the jenny again.

Micro Powered PARASOL'S, Both test models performed well, sending the parasol's to over 80', I used and ejection plug in one and 1/2 square of regular wadding in the other. apparently the plug was a might to tight and the model kicked the motor. she did a core sample with no damage to the model or the parasol:D The wadding packed model ejected prefectly and the model decented slowly on the 3" paper canopy.. really pretty cool! On to fitting Mary onto her Poppin's :D

As usual I'm missed every darn one of the lift-offs with my digital. Heres the only good shot i got of the Jenny on the pad.
maybe I'll decorate the other two sizes as a Camel bi plane and the Red Baron, might look pretty neat flying together as a set:)

Back