finding the center of a cr?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Selene

Roving Rocketeer
Reaction score
i have a 5.5" centering ring with a hole for a 54mm motor tube. i need to draw a line accross the diameter so i can drill holes for the 2 29mm motoer tubes i'm going to add.
any suggestions?

Trace around it on a piece of paper. Cut out the paper. Fold it in half. Lay folded paper on ring. Draw the line.

Crude, but effective!:D

WW

Put a carpenter's square on the disk, and put the point of the right triangle against the outer edge. Make a mark where the two legs of the square cross the edges, and draw a line connecting the two; that line is the diameter.

Turn the square a ways, and do it again; where the lines you drew intersect is the center.

that's more the kind of thing i was thinking of. :)
of course there is nothing to draw on at the center, there'a 54mm dia hole there. :D

the paper circle idea seams to have worked just fine.

Thanks! i just love the way you get help so fast here!

Originally posted by stymye
I use a compass and just mark from 4 sides.

I have used this method. The biggest problem is it doesn't work when the center is removed..... He had already cut the 54mm motor tube hole......

The folded paper idea was the best and most elegant. Actually, he wasn't so much looking for the center (as it was removed) as he was looking for a "center line"

right! it would have been much easier on a solid circle, having the hole complicated things.
but tracing the wood on a piece of paper with an exacto knife worked great!

I use a circle center finder - a plastic tool that you draw three lines with and you get the center. It cost about $4 at a woodworking store. You could just tape with 3" wide masking tape to cover the 54mm hole. Here is a picture of my center finder on a 75mm forward closure

Originally posted by edwardw
I use a circle center finder - a plastic tool that you draw three lines with and you get the center. It cost about $4 at a woodworking store.

I like that tool. I need to find me one of those.

A combination square set . I use one for aligning things on larger rockets will also have a center finder.
these sets can be found cheap, like harbour freight.

Back