Finaly got to launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty Dog

Reaction score
The wind finaly quit. Been blowing for a week up here in NH. Today I called the wife from work and said "we are go for launch" Be home when I get there and we are headed to the corn fields.I been itching to launch some birds. This is the first launch for me in yrs. It was after 5 oclock when I got home. I grabbed the Atlas and the Stormcaster.Well, I had a couple malfunctions :mad: The Atlas flight went OK. Had a couple parachute shrouds come off the main chute and broke a fin off on landing. The Stormcaster flew nice but the shock cord came disconected from the NC when ejected. So the body comes down with no chute. Lucky for me the ground is soft and it survived the landing. One of the fins actualy stuck in the ground.The NC is now way up there and floating away with the chute. well it landed 3 fields away. In one off the pics of the fields ,if you look close in the middle you will see a red Jeep Cherekee.This is were the NC landed. Good thing I had LOTS of room.:D The launch pad had an issue also so. Burned a hole rite thru the blast deflector. :eyepop: Guess that needs an up grade. All in all it was cool.

Stormcaster take off.JPG

burn1.JPG

Burn.JPG

burn2.JPG

Last edited:
Couple more pics. I have a video of the Atlas flight. When I figure out how to post it Ill put it up.

Stormcaster landing.JPG

Gemini landing.JPG

Last edited:
Just a pic of the corn field. My Jeep is in the middle of the pic 3 fields over

Fields.JPG

I find that with the Mercury Atlas you almost have to expect to break a fin on landing. Mine has about 4 flights on it and only once did a fin not break. Oh well, if it's not a fin it's an escape tower (or both in the case of my most recent flight), what can you do?

Nice field btw!

Glenn

I find that with the Mercury Atlas you almost have to expect to break a fin on landing. Mine has about 4 flights on it and only once did a fin not break. Oh well, if it's not a fin it's an escape tower (or both in the case of my most recent flight), what can you do?

Nice field btw!

Glenn

Use more parachute! Or more parachutes. Fly only in dead calm days. :)

Great photo of the Stormcaster!

Thanks-I got lucky on that. I had the wife push the button and I was on the ground with my digital camera set so it took 5 pics in a row with one touch of the shutter button. This poor rocket crashed even before it was finished. Had it in primer in the paint booth drying ( spare bathroom over the heat duct :roll: ) and some how it got crushed :confused2: Nobody did it-you know that person named" Nobody" :D I patched it up and thru some paint on it. It flew pretty good seeing the body tube looked like a boomerang before I fixed it. It was nice havinng the wife there. She seems more interested in them (rockets) now that she has seen a launch. Do you think now she'll understand my (what she calls a mess) work station in the spare bedroom??? Scotty Dog

Latest posts

Back