Finally Launched Some AP

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbrandt

That Darn College Student
Reaction score
Yes, I know. It sounds like an oxymoron. Matt launching AP.

But I did:

I went to the January 5th launch at Bayboro, NC. After a 2.5 hour drive, we finally arrive at the field, and my dad lets out a comment...
"Wow! Look at all of the people!"
As he says this, he points to about 5 cars.
:eyeroll::eyeroll:

So, we pull up, and I hop out of the car, and pull the rockets out. After watching an EX G200 fly, and asking somebody there what the layout of the launch was, I went to Alan Whitmore and grabbed my Performance Hobbies order, which included a G106 skid, a pack of D15-4's, and an LOC 38-29 adapter. So, I decide to go big on the first launch of my LOC weasel, and assemble the Cesaroni motor (Why do those come with instructions, really? Even my sister could assemble it!(probably). When I get to the RSO, I start out "I was planning on flying my LOC weasel on a G106--"
RSO's response: "Not until you are 18, you're not."
FACEPALM! Forgot about that!
So, he proceeds to say that the G106 is a high power motor. But, I reply that I heard that if a certified flyer takes responsibility for the flight, then I could fly high power. He says "I have never heard that."

Slight discussion ensues. He says that I have 2 options, get a mid power motor, or don't fly at all.

So, I run back to the flight line, and ask the guy with all of the Cesaroni motors if he would be willing to accept responsibility for my flight. He didn't mind, and after a quick inspection of my rocket, put his name on the flight card. I then saw his range box. Chock full of CTI motors. (At that moment, my mind was drooling.) So, I get out there with him, stick the rocket on the pad, and then get back for the countdown. 5-4-3-2-1

That Weasel (according to openrocket) hit 400 mph and 3200 feet! My new personal record!

I then recover the rocket close to the flight line. Then, I walk up to the nice guy who stuck his name on the flight line, and ask if I can buy a motor off him for the flight of my Onyx. He doesn't mind, and I snag a 1 grain F29 Imax off him, and borrow 2 spacers. For the flight of my Onyx, I decide to throw my keychain cam on the rocket. I tape it to the side, fill out the flight card, and after RSO approval, hit the flight line. After installing the igniter that probably was a mile long, I start the cam, and get back to the flight line. 5-4-3-2-1
Whoosh! That thing kicks off the pad, and keeps going and going and going...
I recover it about 100 yards away. Next flight calls for an H410... :dark:

So, I take off the keychain camera, and the video refuses to import! :pc:

Anyway, I sit back a little bit, and watch some J-M's fly. Then I see a few people with some model rockets. I had packed away a C6-7 for my Semroc Boid, and I can't resist. I pop the question...
"3 way Drag race?!"

They all accept, and we set the rockets up on the pad.
Results were:
I got off the pad first, but the person with some Quest kit took longer to hit the ground. The 3 person was a probably 12 year old girl. Her rocket just stayed on the pad, and burnt a hole through the blast deflector. She got "Closest to the pad", needless to say.

All in all, it was a great day. And, as we were leaving, I watch a half core sample, half lawn dart. It didn't look pretty. I also saw a K740 C-star fly. Now that was one heck of a motor!

Matt

Congrats Matt! Nice report.

The K740 has been my favorite motor flown to date.

I think our first club launch (scheduled for Sunday) is scrubbed due to weather :(

Sounds like a great day of flying. The Weasel flight sounded real cool. Mine has gone up on a G64 White Lightning and I am guessing it went to about 3400 or so. Was the Onyx a don't blink flight?

BB is growing up gentlemen! Congrats on your flight BB.

What fun!!!

You know, I still get that excited about a launch :)

What did your dad think of the day? By the sounds of the comment, he has no idea how many people fly rockets?! You need to get him building and flying :wink:

Krusty

Hey Matt,I'm glad your day went well. I typed a very eloquent and sincere response but it got erased due to the annoying TRF posting timer.
When I refreshed it was gone. (I'll address this later)

In short save for a GOOD launch vehicle to travel to east coast launches. It might eat into your motor and rocket budget, but if you can at least attend launches ..things can and will fall into place.
Some folks join up with others to buy a bigger motor than they will ever afford. This is team work.
And older flyers sometimes will like your rocket enough to want to be a part of the launch. Sponsorship.
Sorry..it's not about the RICH checkbook flyers..they are in every hobby and try to out do everybody with $$$$.
You are the future bro..Rock On and learn much!

John

Any pics on that Onyx?

Congrats on a good day!
Got some on board vid from the onyx, but the vid won't import. :(

What fun!!!

You know, I still get that excited about a launch :)

What did your dad think of the day? By the sounds of the comment, he has no idea how many people fly rockets?! You need to get him building and flying :wink:

Krusty
My dad thought the day was fun! he only knows 2 people who fly rockets, me and my mentor. And trust me, I want to get him involved...I want to... :)

In short save for a GOOD launch vehicle to travel to east coast launches. It might eat into your motor and rocket budget, but if you can at least attend launches ..things can and will fall into place.
Some folks join up with others to buy a bigger motor than they will ever afford. This is team work.
And older flyers sometimes will like your rocket enough to want to be a part of the launch. Sponsorship.
Sorry..it's not about the RICH checkbook flyers..they are in every hobby and try to out do everybody with $$$$.
You are the future bro..Rock On and learn much!

John
I have my DS jr that I am working on, planning a maiden flight on an h669... That should be a good launch vehicle.

Oh, forgot to mention I got some ground vids, I will upload them later.

BB..By "Launch Vehicle"..I mean YOUR car or truck you will soon own....it takes gasoline which unfortunately costs more than AP now!

This is the MAIN part of this hobby.
Everyone who is interested in HPR should attend several launches BEFORE they jump in with both feet.

Last edited:
my goblin managed a combo dart soil sample, stuck the first couple of inches of nose into the dirt, then the rest of the rocket proceeded to ram the tube over the nose cone...afterward I replaced about a foot of tube :).
rex

This is the lawn dart that BB speaks of....it's mine.

2013-01-05-180348-IMG_0075%u00252520%25282%2529-4S.JPG

The first pic is from my wife at a distance so it's cropped. This is a Formula75.

2013-01-05-183942-IMG_0079-4S.JPG

This is hole that contains the nose cone and about 5" of the body. The threaded rod I used in the nose cone was bent in half.

I was able to salvage the rear for future use.

I couldn't determine if the motor ejection failed to fire - or whether the nose cone failed to pop off. There was very little BP residue on the motor charge well.

W

Matt,

It would be a bit of a drive from NC, but come on up for Red Glare this spring! You'll get to see hundreds of flights, everything from 1/2A and tiny rockets to O motor monsters weighing possibly hundreds of pounds! It will likely be chilly but it will be fun!

Gerald

Hmm, I thought it was a little lighter outside when I saw you take that rocket out of the ground. I was the boy who asked what the altimeter was beeping out. Was that the right lawn dart?
This is the lawn dart that BB speaks of....it's mine.

View attachment 114625

The first pic is from my wife at a distance so it's cropped. This is a Formula75.

View attachment 114624

This is hole that contains the nose cone and about 5" of the body. The threaded rod I used in the nose cone was bent in half.

I was able to salvage the rear for future use.

I couldn't determine if the motor ejection failed to fire - or whether the nose cone failed to pop off. There was very little BP residue on the motor charge well.

W

Back