Finally getting some rain!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Southern California is finally getting some much needed rain. I hope it continues for awhile. I saw on the news that our snow pack is above 187% in 3 different locations. I'm enjoying this. Good weather to build rockets but not paint. I decided to pull out my extra Snarky kit and start on it. I built one before on here, but this time around I'm going to do a much better job knowing now whre I can make improvements and avoid the "Gotchas" :lol::lol:

I have 3 three rockets right now all waiting for paint. Looks like they will continue to wait until the weather is acceptable for painting.

Hope everyone is doing well.:)

I'm glad that California is finally getting some water, and glad that it works for you in terms of building time. Good all the way around.
I just heard on the radio that Tahoe area has recently had 25 FEET of snow! Dang.

Have a good time building, and I hope the weather cooperates come painting time,
s6

We are set to get about .5 to 1in. Today of rain, going to be typical vegas flooding all day here, 2 feet of standing or rushing water everywhere.

Don't ya just hate it when dry lakes get wet? Remind me to bring a shovel to fill in the arroyos next time I come out there to fly.

Loved living in CA (Northern) but, being originally from the Midwest, was always kinda freaked out by the "brown" summers. Not having the water worry from living both in CA and TX is a good thing though. We are just so humid and rain-blessed here in the Midwest.

Freeway 99 south of Sacramento was flooded yesterday by a 5 mile wide river that is normally about 100 feet wide.

Been raining up here for 10 days now. Flooded houses, avalanches, the whole nine yards.

The road to the LUNAR launch site was washed away. No launches till it's repaired.

May I should just take up model trains.

CA is always in a drought. It makes no difference how much snow or how full the reservoirs are, or the flooding, we are in a drought. I'm surprised that we don't get fined for the rain watering the lawn.

And yes, we seem to love lots of rules. All I say is that if you leave CA to live somewhere else is to leave your CA rules in CA.

I still don't know how people afford to live out there. Brother-in-law has lived there for 40 years, Insane real estate prices. I would not be able to afford an Estes Mosquito.

CA is always in a drought. It makes no difference how much snow or how full the reservoirs are, or the flooding, we are in a drought. I'm surprised that we don't get fined for the rain watering the lawn.

And yes, we seem to love lots of rules. All I say is that if you leave CA to live somewhere else is to leave your CA rules in CA.

Oh, how I wish that was true. Here in the Southeast, it seems like all the people leaving the states with all the rules just want to bring the rules with them. People just don't seem to be content with living their lives on their own and not getting wrapped up in what someone else may or may not be doing.

California is a funny place for weather.

I'd replace "funny" with "fantastic", but maybe that's just me. It is funny how relative it all becomes. A co-worker just moved to CA from Raleigh, NC, his family back home called him concerned about "all the rain" he was getting and how bad it must be, he told them "meh, this is just any typical NC rainstorm, it's just unusual for this area". Being from Philly myself, I'm SO GLAD to be far away from the humid summers and snow/sleet/freezing rain in the winter. I loved snow when it meant a day off from school, as soon as I was old enough to drive I was done with snow. Nowadays I'm perfectly happy to look at the snow-capped Mount Hamilton (about 5 miles away) from the 50-60° valley floor in the winter (while I'm wearing shorts, short sleeves and no jacket, and the 'natives' are bundled up like eskimos). :) Though I was out here (winter of '99 I think, maybe 2000) when snow technically hit the valley floor, it vaporized the moment it hit the ground, so not even a dusting came from it in San Jose.

The one thing I really miss from PA is thunderstorms. Out here a single lightning strike seems like the end of the world is coming (we had a teenager from Montara, CA visit us in PA when I was a kid and it was the first time she'd ever experienced a thunderstorm, was a nervous wreck the whole evening), I miss having the curtains open and watching/listening to a good storm. Lightning bugs, too. :)

Last edited:
Lightning bugs, too. :)

I miss the lightening bugs too! We had some lightening near us a couple days ago, so that isn't as big a priority. One issue I've had with not having thunder/lightening often is that I never know how my adopted dogs will deal with it, until I've had them for quite a while (and have become complacent about them dealing with new things).

Back