Finally Found Only

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody's Workshop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Estes 2448 Mine Comanche-3 Kits.

This is just a heads up if anyone is interested in adding a Mini Comanche-3 to your fleet.

I sold the one's I had after the fire. I've been looking to replace them lately.
I contacted Estes about when they were going to restock and was surprised at the answers I received.
They said both the Comanche-3 and Mini Comanche-3 has been discontinued, and with no plans to re-release them in the future.
So if you haven't added them to you collection for flying/hording or what ever, I suggest you do so right away.
I spent an entire afternoon looking on the net to locate the mini.
After ordering from 5 different suppliers and getting a call from them all that they couldn't fulfill the order, I tried the last vendor that said they had 8 in stock online.
They came in the mail today from a place called protinkertoys.com, so they have 5 left I assume. They are 14.99 each, not a deal but it is if you can't find them.
I haven't purchased any new released Comanche-3's, but have several older versions in the orange paint scheme with green decals. I may opt to get one of the newer ones but I'm not fond of the that paint scheme and I'm not sure what other colors the decals would go with. I just haven't put time into looking at that.
I was going to buy all eight and try and sell 5 of them to make a few bucks. I probably would have if I could have gotten them 4 or 5 bucks cheaper.

Also, has anyone built one of the Mini's with a 18mm engine mount for stage 1? Like the big brother uses a 24mm for the first stage.
My version 9 Rocksim still works and I can't for the life of me get version 10 to install. But I'm good with that for now.
But it will allow me to build the rocket with an 18mm first stage for stability and check max altitude.
Thank You All Kindly for your time.

I've launched my Mini w/ the 13mm engines twice, and both times it's turned 90 degrees between the first and second stages. Both times it buried the nosecone a few good inches. First time about 8 inches of the BT crumpled, I cut it off and replaced it, and it survived being buried the 2nd time. I'm not planning to fly it again until I get an 18mm first stage built.

Perhaps the mini has that problem, thus the reason they have stopped production and sale of the kit.
I only hope they will modify it to an 18mm 1st stage and re-release it in the future.
But I'm sure they have a lot of focus on projects already in the works for us.
Estes seem to be striving towards the current future plans of NASA, along with keeping old fogies satisfied with our childhood memories.

The Mini was discontinued after 2020; it did not appear in the 2021 catalog.

The fact they told you the full size is also disco is interesting; it is in the 2022 catalog that just released a few months ago.

While I loved building the Commanche and looking at it, I always hated flying it in anything other than single stage. Regardless of my motor selections, I have lost every one that I have flown in three stage. I hate to say it but I don't miss it from the line up.

Back