Finally! Fiberglass for Mipower! Fly E's ...F's..G's ..I's The Drago is here!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackjack2564

Crazy Jim's Gone Banana's
Reaction score
Super light weight glass tube and nose cone.
Finally a midpower fiberglass rocket for the masses!

..............THE DRAGO..........It's not a mythical beast anymore. It's here and ready to fly on anything from a E to an I!

Just a teaser........more later.

What do you think? Should it be unleashed?

100_2571.jpg

Last edited:
Complete with chute and kevlar shock cord only 1.65 lbs

Should I do a build with the proto-type or wait till market time.

I found this laying on Wildmans desk, don't tell him.

100_2572.jpg

Oh come on we have to see more of the rocket than that.:D

Edit: Oh...you did show us more. Haha I didn't see that post.

your just killing me here!!!:eek:

Nice name DRAG-O, somehow you may have named this one, hahahaha:D

Just out of curiosity, if the altitude is an astonishing 2500 ft (on an I motor?) with a 1.65# rocket, what is the altitude on an E? I think the dynamic diameter posted in the second post is the key, right?

S.

Last edited:
Just started the build....will post a thread dedicated to it soon.

It will be a short one, this is really aimed at any one who can build an estes balsa finned rocket or simple mid power. Easier than a LOC or PML kit. Really!

Only need hobby epoxy.

Should take less than an hour to build, not including drying time

I weighed the tube today. Only .65 lbs The same diameter Little Dog tube weighs 1.15 lbs Even comes with 12ft. of Kevlar 3/8 tubular.
You won't have to worry about replacing shock cord on this one!

Just out of curiosity, if the altitude is an astonishing 2500 ft (on an I motor?) with a 1.65# rocket, what is the altitude on an E? I think the dynamic diameter posted in the second post is the key, right?

S.

If it is 1.65lbs, I would be stunned to see it only fly 2500 feet with an I motor. Even just an I200, a fairly weak I motor, is capable of taking my nearly 4lb Amraam to around that kind of altitude. With less than half the weight, I would think this rocket would go MUCH higher. As for E motors? That would kind of be pushing it on a rocket of this weight, though it might work on something like an E30. I still wouldn't normally fly a rocket of this weight with less than a moderate F or so though.

If it is 1.65lbs, I would be stunned to see it only fly 2500 feet with an I motor.

I agree 100%. Isn't it refreshing for a kit maker to give you reasonable stats on a rocket that most builders will readily attain, rather than some unrealistic altitude that only the few might make.

I still wouldn't normally fly a rocket of this weight with less than a moderate F or so though.

Again I agree whole completely. But after all is is the proto. and it will be interesting to run the whole gamut and see the results.

It is really aimed for the sport flier for f-g motors, and right now there isn't much, if anything, in all glass in this range.

Woops. I thought it was a typo or a joke. I have only started flying H motors and I thought something this size on a I would be way out of sight! I still have a lot to learn, but it is a neat rocket for sure.

Sandy.

Something this size on an I would absolutely be out of sight. I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if you broke a mile with this on an I motor, especially some of the 38s.

Of course, that wouldn't stop me from doing it :)

on an I200 I'm getting about 5400 to 5700 feet in Sim's.

and yes out of site:jaw:
just another kit to add to the wants and needs pile.:neener:

Looks nice, is it a 29mm or 38mm motor mount? With the rocket going 5400 feet on an I, will a dual deployment section be offered?

The Drago is the second release under the Wildman rocketry label, a midpower sport rocket, designed for easy construction and a good entry level fiberglass kit. Typical low power skills are all that is required.

The rocket can be built with just CA [superglue] and Hobby type epoxies. 12-15 minute recommended. The first time builder should be able to complete the kit in 2-3 hrs not including epoxy cure time.

It is designed for mainstream flying of F and G motors with the possibility of

E ....H's and I's This is the first one and you will find out when I do.

I'll be taking it to launches, and letting anyone who wants a crack at test flying it, be my guest. Will compile the results and post them as we go.....should be very interesting and provide good feedback as well as fun for all. I'll even provide a tracker for the inevitable 'Hemi' flights. I'm curious as to how small a motor it will actually fly on, more so than the big ones.

We will push it to the limit, in both directions.....from smallest to largest motor it will fly on. See what kind of punishment it will take.

For now this will be very simply built, as light as possible.

I'm sure some of you will have different plans for it, pushing the envelope, after all it is a rocket. Yes it would be very simple to dual deploy. It's the same diam. as a Little Dog and Wildman Jr.
Just very light weight tubing.

The Drago:

...............................G-10 is fiberglass.................
Light weight fiberglass body tube.
2-G-10 centering rings
1 29mm motor mount tube G-10
12ft of Kevlar shock cord.
3 G-10 fins
Fiberglass nose cone, gel coat finish.
24 in . Topflite chute.
1/4 in. launch lug

Detailed photo instructions.

Sell for 79.95

Now let's build it

100_2663.jpg

Last edited:
For first time fiberglass builders it is important to note a few things. You can use much heavier grit sand paper for glue prepping typically 60-80grit. ALL surfaces that get glue must be sanded to promote adhesion. There is no "soaking in" like paper and wood rockets. The rougher the area to be bonded, the better.

One of the most overlooked feature of a fiberglass rocket is....ease of finishing. No spirals to fill and a glass smooth paint job,even for the novice is attainable with a little patience and attention to detail. My rockets get more beat up from storage and travel to the launch, than actual flying.
This stuff is water proof, damage resistant, and very forgiving. I've stepped on 'em, dropped, lawndarted,and had very late deployments with out zippers.
No way a paper rocket would have survived. I'm not saying glass is bullet proof, but once you try it, it's hard going back. The benefits far outweigh the added cost in most cases. Especially on a kit like this. Even the Kevlar is tubular 3/16 ths. and plenty long.

Kevlar shock cord will be glued to MM tube. File or sand notch in 1 Cr.

Centering Rings will be glued 1/2in from each end of MM tube.

Slide notched ring over Kevlar and onto tube, leaving 2in of Kevlar on tube.

Slide rear cr onto tube into position.

Tack with CA.

100_2666.jpg

100_2668.jpg

Last edited:
Stuff shock cord into MM tube, so epoxy doesn't get on it.

Mix some 12min epoxy and glue shock cord onto tube.

Fillet top of Cr with Kevlar.

Fillet rear CR on the side facing motor.

100_2669.jpg

100_2672.jpg

100_2670.jpg

While that cures.....
.............................cut about a foot off the shock cord to make harness for nose cone. Fold in half and tie a loop.

Epoxy both tails to cone, I used leftover from previous step.

Nice lightweight, strong attachment point.

100_2674.jpg

Sand both sides of fin slots. 1/2 from edge.
sand fins 1/4 from root edge.

Slide motor mount assembly into airframe. top cr flush with front of slot
Make sure the shock cord is BETWEEN two fin slots so it won't interfer with fin attachment.

Fins do not come beveled, it you wish them so, it is much easier done before they are installed.

Butter root edge of fin and slip into finslot, push tight to MM tube. Repeat for other 2 fins
use alignment guide and let cure.

Fillet rear CR to airframe.

100_2676.jpg

100_2680.jpg

Last edited:
Draw line 12in long between 2 fins for launch lugs.

Cut lug in half. Tack rear lug to edge of airframe with CA

Tack upper lug 12in from bottom on center line with CA.

Fillet both sides of all 3 fins.

Fillet both sides of launch lugs.

Pic does not show bottom lug, but fillets are done....keep them small....keep the build light!

100_2695.jpg

Looks like another winner. I will be waiting to order one when they go into production. Any chance of a mid power fiberglass Mini-Gismo?

Tie Kevlar shock cord to NC harness.

Tie loop [overhand knot] in shock cord about 2ft back from NC, [or about length of rocket] for parachute attachment.

Connect chute to loop.

100_2694.jpg

Now admire your finished DRAGO all fiberglass rocket.

This one weighs 557 grams or 1lb 7oz. Only 1/2 oz. off predicated. Not bad complete with glue and shock cord/parachute.

Will try to do a launch and report soon.

100_2691.jpg

Last edited:
Now the finished product.

It weighs 557 grams or 1lb 7oz

It ought to be a screamer on f-g's

Attachments

• 100_2691.jpg
    100_2691.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 11
2 Comments:

1. Needs rail buttons.
2. Needs a 38mm option.