Finally added the birdie to my fleet

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlaineC

Reaction score
Ok ok so the other night I had a horrable time sleeping and decided that I would finally do something with this dang gum shuttlecock that has been sitting on my computer table/ fly tying bench/ rocket building table since july.

First I cut the base from some picture mat and made the senctering ring. Then I cut and glued into place a short bt5. then I glued the centering ring to that and as best as I cound to the skirt of the shuttlecock. Cut the hole for the launch lug and poof a flying birdie. Hopefully I'll fly her in a few weeks

100_2449.jpg

ok ok where did you get one THAT BIG. I want one. hehe bet it would fly great on d's too

ok ok where did you get one THAT BIG. I want one. hehe bet it would fly great on d's too

As a start, look on the 'net for the iPlay (or International Playthings) "Monster Badminton Set." It sells for around $30.

-- Roger

i'm really tempted to build a D/E birdie - i'll start looking on ebay for the large shuttle cock.

Congrats on your first Birdie!
For years, my first launch of the day has been the Birdie.
It's a simple prep and a great way to make sure everything is working. The kids love that rocket.

I just came out with a Birdie kit at the OddlRockets.com site. (I know, shameless plug.) The toughest thing was finding the right shuttlecock for the kit. Inside my Birdies is a round flange that fits the 1/2" Series 5 tubing perfectly.

The picture is my Birdie launch taken by Roger Smith from JonRocket.com

birdielaunch[1].jpg

because of this thread, i've just built a birdie - a small one on 13mm motors, and am now one the lookout for a large shuttlecock for a 24/29mm motor.
hope to fly the birdie on sunday, weather permitting.

flew one of the two birdies today, the white one flew twice, both flights were good, but as the shuttlecocks i used where cheap, the tail end od one side has melted a bit. i'll probably go buy some decent feather ones.
picture of birdie on pad, tried to get one in flight but all i got was smoke!

scratch_birdie_01.JPG

here are the parts we used to make it...keep forgetting to take a pic at home.
9" red foam nerf ball
4-bamboo skewers inserted sputnik style,
24 mm motor mount tube plugged at the top wit an epoxied quarter.
and arts and crafts feathers from michaels.
oh and a straw from jack in the box stuck through a hole made with a chopstick for a launch lug.

just stuck the feathers in and havent lost one yet but if one gets broke you can pull it out and replace it. Oh and she trimmed it with a strand of marabou also from michaels and hot glued on.

Fuzzball.jpg

Last edited:
Back