Fin alignment techniques for big rockets...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn that is indeed extremely clever. I wonder if there's a way to extend the concept so that it can work with different body sizes and maybe even 3 vs. 4 fins. For those of us without 3D printers at our disposal, the practice of printing a custom guide for every rocket is just not practical, so multi-purpose designs are appealing.

I've tried making two different ones out of foam core board and can never get the cuts in the board to be accurate. I must be using the wrong knife, It always comes out ragged. After I did the last one I thought it would probably be better to make one out of quarter inch plywood and use the width of the saw blade which is likely 1/8 of an inch to be the same as most fiberglass and wood fins, to make the main cuts with

I've tried making two different ones out of foam core board and can never get the cuts in the board to be accurate. I must be using the wrong knife, It always comes out ragged. After I did the last one I thought it would probably be better to make one out of quarter inch plywood and use the width of the saw blade which is likely 1/8 of an inch to be the same as most fiberglass and wood fins, to make the main cuts with
Cutting foam core board absolutely requires a sharp blade, as I have learned. Once I started being much more careful with that, I started to have much better luck cutting the stuff cleanly.

With a straightedge, good cutting surface, and a fresh sharp blade, it should be straightforward to get clean fin slots.

Cutting foam core board absolutely requires a sharp blade, as I have learned. Once I started being much more careful with that, I started to have much better luck cutting the stuff cleanly.

With a straightedge, good cutting surface, and a fresh sharp blade, it should be straightforward to get clean fin slots.
This. I almost exclusively use form board fin guides made from printed online template makers (https://www.payloadbay.com/index.php?page=Tools&action=FINGUIDES) rubber cement glued to the foam board. Works well enough that very few of my rockets have any twist to them in flight.

For my most recent builds, I assembled the motor mount and fin assembly outside of the body tube then slid a slotted body tube over the assembly. This allowed me to create notched centering rings to align the fins without the need for any external jigs or tools.

The basic technique is described in the post at:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/deja-youbee-a-rebuild-thread.36421/post-339654
But I am using laser-cut rings now that are more accurate. As long as the rings are accurately aligned on the body tube, which isn't hard to ensure, the fins end up really well aligned.

I made my own after I wasn't quite happy with others I've tried. It's also modular, so I can adapt to different fin widths and motor mounts (to a point as long as I make more of the rear CR piece). Also works for double fins (mid fins in line with rear fins).

467839-87f169f022065d46248681130abf4be6.data

468696-47d5c08e131fd86c358b008bc33f4633.data

468698-75a177c077280097188202320c06c630.data

Good:
467841-8e766496d7dd0dfbc9eb1833c9315f7a.data

Bad:
467842-ad4ee0f26ac307d69f8ddef366f7a16e.data

The catch is only 1 fin at a time, but if you want accuracy, then you usually give up speed and efficiency for something like this imho.

Last edited:
Back