The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

o1d_dude

'I battle gravity'
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Wondering if something like this could be used to spin tubes for filling:

Amazon. It’s called a cup turner.

I swear....sometimes I think the internet reads my posts and my mind...

Attachments

Last edited:

neil_w

Chuffed as ninepence
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
At only 2.5 RPM my guess is that is not what you want. Could be the basis of a decent rotisserie unit though.

Mx2

Reaction score
At only 2.5 RPM my guess is that is not what you want...
Yes, faster speed but you did go a route I haven’t thought of and that is seeing what is all ready on market.

I was thinking about what you said regarding 3” and 4 inch and what one could do quickly, cheaply. No great flashes of inspiration on this end although I was thinking about it.

Currently I have about three Estes rocket kits I still need to build (small tube) and no immediate plans for larger tube. But all it would take is a device like you had found, possibly like a shoe buffer? Ahhhh, maybe? Laying in the back of a Thrift store for about $10 that could be easily converted over.... so I like your thinking what is out there that could turn 3 or 4 inch cardboard tube with minimal re-work and not creating a hazard to fingers and limbs.
Hmmmmm...

o1d_dude

'I battle gravity'
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, faster speed but you did go a route I haven’t thought of and that is seeing what is all ready on market.

I was thinking about what you said regarding 3” and 4 inch and what one could do quickly, cheaply. No great flashes of inspiration on this end although I was thinking about it.

Currently I have about three Estes rocket kits I still need to build (small tube) and no immediate plans for larger tube. But all it would take is a device like you had found, possibly like a shoe buffer? Ahhhh, maybe? Laying in the back of a Thrift store for about $10 that could be easily converted over.... so I like your thinking what is out there that could turn 3 or 4 inch cardboard tube with minimal re-work and not creating a hazard to fingers and limbs.
Hmmmmm...
Great idea!

A shoe buffer would an excellent place to start.

jrap330

Retired Engineer, NAR # 76940
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Wondering if something like this could be used to spin tubes for filling:

Amazon. It’s called a cup turner.

I swear....sometimes I think the internet reads my posts and my mind...
It is design for cups and mugs....so 3-4 inch diameter????/Video..turns slow....so there goes you saving time by fast spin...sand etc

o1d_dude

'I battle gravity'
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It is design for cups and mugs....so 3-4 inch diameter????/Video..turns slow....so there goes you saving time by fast spin...sand etc
I’d imagine the motor could be replaced easily enough to address the slow speed issue but at this point I’m thinking about @Mx2 ‘s idea of using a shoe buffer...

jrap330

Retired Engineer, NAR # 76940
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Back to using drill..issue was beefing up a wooden dowel to hold air frame. If you installed the motor mount...then just glue an engine casing to a dowel and spin. .I do not think shoe buffer/shiner spin fast either..

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
If you spin too fast won’t it fling the paint right off?

Mx2

Reaction score
Possibly. Variable speed control, slow down rpm or quantity of paint.

Zbench

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Mx2, I have to hand it to you on that Tamiya Basic Putty. I picked some up after looking at you using it on the video. I discovered that if you just get a little ball on your index finger you can move about 6" around a spiral before you have to reload. If you press and spread it thin it goes even farther.

I am working on an Aspire build and treated the upper half that way, doing both spirals, the deep one and the shallow one. It hardened up in about 20 minutes. I just used a pad of steel wool and worked it in my hand and then sprayed with my Seymour Filling primer. It worked fantastic. One coat and smoothed it out again with the 0000 steel wool and I am done.

That Tamiya putty is pretty tenacious and dries hard. I like that if flows smooth unlike bondo that gets clumpy really fast. It's a great solution. Thanks for the tip.

RocketTree

Reaction score
I mask the spiral above and below with tape. Brush filler primer into the spiral 2-3 coats. Remove tape. Sand down and prime the whole rocket tube. Spirals gone!

If you use automotive filler, get "glazing putty". Bondo body filler is too "hard" to sand on a paper body tube.

All the best!

Reactions: Mx2