Fillets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biziedizie

Reaction score
Hi everyone I was wondering about thickening my fillets and I was told that flour would work with epoxy. Do you think this would work or do you have a better idea?

Thanks!

Steve

It depends on what kind of "flour" you are talking about. There are specific fillers and additives for epoxy such as:

Wood Flour - excellent for creating glues and structural fillets
Plastic Minifibers - good for gap filling adhesive
Phenolic Microballoons - makes a good lightweight fairing compound
Chopped Glass - makes a course structual filler
Milled Glass Fiber - will make a thick jelly-like paste

I've used the Plastic Minifibers for fillets with good results.

Wood flour is the cheapest.

Basically it's extreamly fine sawdust.

I get mine at the end of my stationary belt sander...it's free.

If you need more....just sand a piece of scrap until you have enough.

sandman

Thanks for the replies! I was just about to use flour from the pantry as that's what I was told to use.
I think I will try the fine dust and see what happens.

Thanks!

Steve

Originally posted by biziedizie
Thanks for the replies! I was just about to use flour from the pantry as that's what I was told to use.
I think I will try the fine dust and see what happens.

Thanks!

Steve

So does that mean when your rocket, when finished, has a particularly fast liftoff, you'll be able to say "It cooks!"

<groan> :p :rolleyes:

Reminds me of a girl I knew who once sunbathed but didn't have any suntan oil...so she used cooking oil instead. :eek:

On a much more serious & on-topic note, I have used milled fiber & it greatly increases the strength of fillets. You can get a small jar of milled fiber from BSD Rocketry for $5. It's enough to last for ~6-10 rockets' worth of filleting.

Back