Fillets for wood-to-plastic fin joints...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bronicabill

Reaction score
Started my new V2 kit build tonight and have an issue I've not run across before...

The "slots" you have to cut in the plastic tailcone for the fins will apparently have at least SOME gaps if you are not 100% perfect in cutting them, which I am not. So my question is...

What product or technique do you use to create fin fillets with wood fins and plastic body tube/tail cone?

Thanks in advance!

Folks have used various glues, filler, putties and epoxies as fillets on the Estes V-2s - the plastic tailcone has been used at least since the the early 70s - any of the “classic” modeler’s putty like Testors or Squadron will work. Some folks like an automobile body filler like Bondo Spot/Glazing Putty.

What product or technique do you use to create fin fillets with wood fins and plastic body tube/tail cone?

Epoxy - the best choice for all fillet needs and all materials.
Easiest when working with long cure (30+ mins) kinds for fillet use-cases (BSI, West System, Rocketpoxy, etc, etc), but can be done with faster curing ones if you've done it before and like to work fast.

Last edited:
After seeing that Adam Savage video about CA recently, I'd be tempted to try the CA + baking soda trick. At least, after I had practiced. :)

Last edited:
Practiced and tested, I should think. Me, I'd use epoxy, maybe a semi puttylike epoxy e.g. PC7, and try the CA-baking soda for castings. (I've seen that elsewhere; I haven't watched the Adam Savage video.)

Built a couple of LOC's V-2 kits. They are plastic tail cones also. I use Hy-sol 9462. Sticks to anything. Will not run or drip. But as with any plastic surface prep is very important. Clean, scuff and sand and clean again.

There is one glue I’m certain will have a strong hold from plastic to wood or anything to anything BUT you have to test fit first and make sure everything thing is where you want it to be before you glue.
I use it on every rocket I build along with tightbond and epoxy.
I wouldn’t normally recommend this but you said you’re looking for something that will hold these two materials together.
Gorilla Super Glue Gel
Bonds in seconds. Cures in about an hour. Remember your first attempt when gluing is your only attempt.

There is one glue I’m certain will have a strong hold from plastic to wood or anything to anything BUT you have to test fit first and make sure everything thing is where you want it to be before you glue.
I use it on every rocket I build along with tightbond and epoxy.
I wouldn’t normally recommend this but you said you’re looking for something that will hold these two materials together.
Gorilla Super Glue Gel
Bonds in seconds. Cures in about an hour. Remember your first attempt when gluing is your only attempt.
Sounds attractive. One possible concern, generally fillets are applied AFTER the fins are at least tacked if not firmly bonded in place. So the ”first attempt is your only attempt” may not be an issue. What MAY be an issue is that likely the binding surfaces will already be smeared with ANOTHER glue (unless you use this for tacking, gluing, AND FILLETING). so a relevant question is, ”How well does this fillet do over other glues?” In this case I expect many would initially use epoxy to get the fins in place first.

Back