Fillers

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marlin523

Reaction score
Aside from the usuals, does anyone have any recommendations for a sandable filler type putty that can be used to fill gaps, gashes, and other big nasty stuff? I'm always looking for new ideas. I remember Testors filler putty from plastic model car days. Is there anything like that - thicker than glues? Some will reommend epoxies etc, but I only use that stuff for HP.

Aside from the usuals, does anyone have any recommendations for a sandable filler type putty that can be used to fill gaps, gashes, and other big nasty stuff? I'm always looking for new ideas. I remember Testors filler putty from plastic model car days. Is there anything like that - thicker than glues? Some will reommend epoxies etc, but I only use that stuff for HP.

Bondo spot putty. Get it at almost any auto parts store, Walmart automotive section, etc.

41a8kqLnRBL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Bondo spot putty. Get it at almost any auto parts store, Walmart automotive section, etc.

41a8kqLnRBL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Ditto on the spot putty. It's awesome for nosecone seams or any plastic parts. I use Elmer's Wood Filler for my balsa/basswood. For HPR parts, I use Minwax High Performance Wood Filler which is an epoxy type wood filler. It's fairly easy to sand too.

x3 on the Bondo spot putty.I use it for spirals ,gouges in plywood fins and nose cone seams as well as fiberglass cones and body tubes(but i also use Tamiya putty on styrene nosecones)

Paul

My favorite Fillers are Jim and his Son Matthew. Jim Filler was the CD of NARAM-50...:D

Light weight spackel will work too,, as long as it is thin coats,,, not cave ;em and pave 'em.

Tom

Another vote for Bondo putty. It sands very well.

I tried the Squadron green putty, but didn't like it nearly as much. It fills fine, but doesn't sand as easily as the Bondo stuff.

Back