3D Printing Filaments and Adhesives

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpitfield

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This thread is intended to be a general thread to gather data to get a better understanding of what adhesives work best with what filaments.

Specifically, I would like to know if anyone has any experience with Prusament PETG and FW/FG tubes. What adhesives have you used, what works, and what doesn't?

I used to do the adhesive battle, i tried glues, hair spray, double sided tape. In the end I discovered it was me all along. and a properly cleaned surface is the answer. Now I never touch my build plates with bare hands EVER, and I only use 99% ISO not 97% not 91% only 99% and that has been a game changer. Now if you are using glass or a beat up pei surface then maybe you will have to use an adhesive but you shouldn't.
My printers MK3s, Ender 3 Pro, Rostock 2, Lulzbot Mini, and 2 other DIY printers. Only the rostock will get elmers blue glue stick every once in awhile since its a glass bed.
So my suggestion is to get a new flexible pei sheet, about every printer brand there is offers it as an upgrade now, and never touch the pei just pop it off.

I used to do the adhesive battle, i tried glues, hair spray, double sided tape. In the end I discovered it was me all along. and a properly cleaned surface is the answer. Now I never touch my build plates with bare hands EVER, and I only use 99% ISO not 97% not 91% only 99% and that has been a game changer. Now if you are using glass or a beat up pei surface then maybe you will have to use an adhesive but you shouldn't.
My printers MK3s, Ender 3 Pro, Rostock 2, Lulzbot Mini, and 2 other DIY printers. Only the rostock will get elmers blue glue stick every once in awhile since its a glass bed.
So my suggestion is to get a new flexible pei sheet, about every printer brand there is offers it as an upgrade now, and never touch the pei just pop it off.

In my case, I was specifically looking for data on glueing PETG to a FW/FG airframe, not bed adhesion for the printing process. I was also looking to make this thread a place to discuss other filaments and adhesives.

I have successfully used 5 minute epoxy on PETG to cardboard and ABS to cardboard and PLA to carboard. The trick is to rough of both surfaces evenly with 80 grit in a cross hatch pattern.

I don't have specific experience with PETG, but as others have said bonding printed parts with epoxy works fine as long as the surface has roughness for the epoxy to lock into and is clean (same as with any other material).

For low power stuff, I've used normal thin CA glue (on PETG) with no failures so far. I used 5 minute epoxy on a 29mm PETG Spool rocket and it has held up as well (cracked a disk on the last landing, but the glue joints are still good). It's not an adhesive, but for large mid power and high power rockets, I use fasteners (#6-32 works well for L1 and small L2). These heat-set inserts from McMaster Carr work great: https://www.mcmaster.com/93365a132

Back