fiesta island (san diego) launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkeene

Reaction score
Hey all - been a while since my last post. On Saturday, went to the monthly NAR launch at Fiesta Island in San Diego. The parks and rec. dept. double-booked us with some Over the Line players. For those who don't know, OTL is best described as a form of "beach baseball." Every year in SD there is a big tourney, and although yesterday wasn't it, it still was a good sized group there sharing the launch field with us.
The OTL crowd has developed a rep here in town for just being a bunch of rowdy, beer-drinking buffoons who curse and carry on like cavemen and women. At the big tourney, the object is to see who can come up with the most vulgar and obscene team names. They have been known in years past to leave Fiesta Island looking like a garbage dump.
Yesterday, we had a Mid-Power launch drift over into their field. The rocketeer and his buddy went over to retrieve said rocket, and the OTL player threw it at him and cursed at him, and the fin of the bird cut the rocketeer's hand (not badly, but enough). The OTL player had been fueled by alcohol at this point. The 2 rocketeers handled themselves with dignity and composure.
Just wanted to say that in my brief experience so far in getting back into the hobby, and at the launches, and the people involved in the hobby, I have never met a nicer, more dedicated, and more professional group of people. I am proud to say that I am a BAR! A big thanks to Mike Jerauld for his handling of the incident in an adult and civilized manner. Thanks to all of you for continuing to make this a family-safe, fun, and enjoyable hobby free of the volatile mix of alcohol and stupidity!
PS I have never liked the OTL group, and yesterday re-affirmed that for me!

Hopefully the dead whale was not a problem.

Originally posted by mkeene
Hey all - been a while since my last post. On Saturday, went to the monthly NAR launch at Fiesta Island in San Diego. The parks and rec. dept. double-booked us with some Over the Line players. For those who don't know, OTL is best described as a form of "beach baseball." Every year in SD there is a big tourney, and although yesterday wasn't it, it still was a good sized group there sharing the launch field with us.
The OTL crowd has developed a rep here in town for just being a bunch of rowdy, beer-drinking buffoons who curse and carry on like cavemen and women. At the big tourney, the object is to see who can come up with the most vulgar and obscene team names. They have been known in years past to leave Fiesta Island looking like a garbage dump.
Yesterday, we had a Mid-Power launch drift over into their field. The rocketeer and his buddy went over to retrieve said rocket, and the OTL player threw it at him and cursed at him, and the fin of the bird cut the rocketeer's hand (not badly, but enough). The OTL player had been fueled by alcohol at this point. The 2 rocketeers handled themselves with dignity and composure.
Just wanted to say that in my brief experience so far in getting back into the hobby, and at the launches, and the people involved in the hobby, I have never met a nicer, more dedicated, and more professional group of people. I am proud to say that I am a BAR! A big thanks to Mike Jerauld for his handling of the incident in an adult and civilized manner. Thanks to all of you for continuing to make this a family-safe, fun, and enjoyable hobby free of the volatile mix of alcohol and stupidity!
PS I have never liked the OTL group, and yesterday re-affirmed that for me!

Sorry - alcohol not being a legitmate excuse, IMO - I'd have shoved that rocket fin-first in a dark, uncomfortable orifice. Some people need to be taught some manners (including me, apparently.)
:mad:

Back