Field Box Contents?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TangoJuliet

Reaction score
Ok, I admit, this is kind of a N00b question, and maybe it's better suited to Ground Support, but not having launched model rockets in 25 years, I need to put together a field box again (I have one for R/C flying also), but I can't remember what I used to bring with me, or what was most invaluable to have all the time.

I'm strictly a LPR/MPR kind of BAR, so nothing related to HPR is necessary.

So far my list consists of:

1) Talcum Powder for 'chutes
2) a piece of sandpaper for cleaning launch rods
3) Masking and Cellophane Tape

Since I'm not expecting to be flying in competitions any more (or any time soon at least), I don't think I really need to be carrying a lot of building supplies with me to the launch site (which in most cases will be the R/C club field that I belong to).

What else might you add to my list?

Superglue
Spare igniters
(engine plugs?)
Electrical tape
Spare launch lugs/rail buttons (long story)
a knife
small screwdriver for electronics (if used)
pliers (stubborn spent motors)
spare batteries for your launch controller of choice
(wipes for BP residue?)

Take this as coming from someone that doesn't have a dedicated range box yet. So far I've gotten away with a supply bag for stuff and igniters, and the hazard shipping box from my L1 motor for propellants.

Pen & paper & clip board (to fill out flight cards, hold motor assembly instructions, etc.. it's a flat hard surface..)
Rocket list / spreadsheets, with motors, altitudes expected, delays etc..
A diagram of what's inside a rocket motor and a detailed typical flight path, so when "that" person asks, you can better explain with diagrams & pretty pictures! (I have the 'Fliskit' cut-away motor for that very reason!)
camera
Bag / bucket for garbage. (A garbage bag can also double for a rain poncho if the weather suddenly changes..)
Folding chair
extra chute or two
Snap-swivels sized appropriately for the chute /rocket.. (Fishing snap-swivels, to better interchange chutes & less tangling)
2ft x 3/8" dowel, for pushing motors out, ramming cutes in (or out!) keeping that pesky "Why" person from point #3 in line..
Extra launch key
blanket (to kneel on, to keep rockets 'grass free', to denote your area of assembly / prep. I have an old moving blanket)
Tupperware / box lid for motor assembly (keep the parts clean & located, parts / pieces don't roll away)
paper towel, at least a few squares..

I had an instance where I needed to unjam a shock cord inside a BT and replace it, since it got toasted. I was unprepared at the time, but never again. I subsequently added a pair of needle-nosed pliers and a straightened out (and then subsequently folded up to fit in the box) wire coat hanger. I can fashion a hook with the hanger to grab and pull pretty much whatever I might need to. Oh, and for that reason I also carry some spare shock cord with me.

I've heard many folks advocate having some 5-minute epoxy on hand for quick repairs; I thought that seemed like a good idea so I carry it too but haven't needed it yet.

Superglue
Spare igniters
(engine plugs?)
Electrical tape
Spare launch lugs/rail buttons (long story)
a knife
small screwdriver for electronics (if used)
pliers (stubborn spent motors)
spare batteries for your launch controller of choice
(wipes for BP residue?)

Take this as coming from someone that doesn't have a dedicated range box yet. So far I've gotten away with a supply bag for stuff and igniters, and the hazard shipping box from my L1 motor for propellants.

All good suggestions. I actually already have two ammo cans for motors, and a small tackle box with spare igniters (1999?), wadding, and a small bottle of Talcum Powder.

Ok, I admit, this is kind of a N00b question, and maybe it's better suited to Ground Support, but not having launched model rockets in 25 years, I need to put together a field box again (I have one for R/C flying also), but I can't remember what I used to bring with me, or what was most invaluable to have all the time.

I'm strictly a LPR/MPR kind of BAR, so nothing related to HPR is necessary.

So far my list consists of:

1) Talcum Powder for 'chutes
3) Masking and Cellophane Tape

Since I'm not expecting to be flying in competitions any more (or any time soon at least), I don't think I really need to be carrying a lot of building supplies with me to the launch site (which in most cases will be the R/C club field that I belong to).

What else might you add to my list?

I've said it before I'll repeat it here:
NO matter how large or how many range boxes you carry there will always be something you Wish you had remembered LOL!
That said:
I always carry: Elmer's white glue
Carpenters yellow glue
CA w/ accelerator.
5 minute Devcon Epoxy & Hardener.
Stir Sticks, Bamboo skewer or two & Epoxy Cup.
a 1/2" round hardwood dowel (empty casing pushrod)
Needle Nose Pliers
Straight and Phillips screwdriver
Tweezers
Roll of 1/2" Masking Tape.
Roll of 3/4" Cellophane Tape.
Small set of Needle files.
1/4" round file.
Spare igniters
Igniter plugs (or FP wadding ball w/ masking tape)
Extra Flame Proof Wadding (or dog barf ) I use a square of fp wadding about 2" of dog barf and a cap of 1square of wadding in LPR's.
Spare Motors (depending on you Rockets)
Sandpaper for various uses (Not you Stainless Steel Launch Rods available from McMaster-Carr)
a couple 1/8" & 3/16" Launch lugs.
6' of 1/8" oval elastic.
12' of 70lb braided kevlar line.
Roll of elastic thread. (helicopter & Glider burn string)
Roll of Red Nylon thread (same as above).
Zip-Loc of 13, 18 & 24mm blue foam ejection plugs. ( Not for competition but protection of Altimeters and such).
X-Acto Knife w/ #11 blade
Pair of Scissors.
6" metal ruler.
Pencil and Pen
Flight Log. (record every flight & observed conditions - it'll help years later).

Thats the short list; Like I said in the beginning you'll never have everything needed for a particular day but with the above and your list you'll have a great flying day:)

Pen & paper & clip board (to fill out flight cards, hold motor assembly instructions, etc.. it's a flat hard surface..)
Rocket list / spreadsheets, with motors, altitudes expected, delays etc.. I did put together a binder with all of the Estes and AT SU motor stats in it already.
A diagram of what's inside a rocket motor and a detailed typical flight path, so when "that" person asks, you can better explain with diagrams & pretty pictures! (I have the 'Fliskit' cut-away motor for that very reason!) I recently built the Fliskit Cut-Away also for the classroom kiddos.
camera I use a Canon 7D, but it won't be in my field box :no:.
Bag / bucket for garbage. (A garbage bag can also double for a rain poncho if the weather suddenly changes..)
Folding chair Not for the field box!
extra chute or two
Snap-swivels sized appropriately for the chute /rocket.. (Fishing snap-swivels, to better interchange chutes & less tangling) I already have several 'chutes and streamers with snap swivels permanently attached and kept in Zip-loc baggies.
2ft x 3/8" dowel, for pushing motors out, ramming cutes in (or out!) keeping that pesky "Why" person from point #3 in line.. Now that is a good idea!
Extra launch key
blanket (to kneel on, to keep rockets 'grass free', to denote your area of assembly / prep. I have an old moving blanket)
Tupperware / box lid for motor assembly (keep the parts clean & located, parts / pieces don't roll away) I don't use AT Reloads.
paper towel, at least a few squares.. Kept in the van.

Not all bad ideas, just more than what goes into a simple field box. :wink:

I had an instance where I needed to unjam a shock cord inside a BT and replace it, since it got toasted. I was unprepared at the time, but never again. I subsequently added a pair of needle-nosed pliers and a straightened out (and then subsequently folded up to fit in the box) wire coat hanger. I can fashion a hook with the hanger to grab and pull pretty much whatever I might need to. Oh, and for that reason I also carry some spare shock cord with me.

I've heard many folks advocate having some 5-minute epoxy on hand for quick repairs; I thought that seemed like a good idea so I carry it too but haven't needed it yet.

A Ram-rod is probably a good idea, and I think I could fashion one with fang-like prongs on one end to serve dual duty as grabber. Good idea.

I'm undecided about keeping any glue in the box, unless I pack to travel to a contest or something. Otherwise, I'd just wait till I got home to make repairs if necessary.

I've said it before I'll repeat it here:
NO matter how large or how many range boxes you carry there will always be something you Wish you had remembered LOL!
That said:
I always carry:

Needle Nose Pliers
Straight and Phillips screwdriver
Tweezers
Roll of 1/2" Masking Tape.
Roll of 3/4" Cellophane Tape.
Spare igniters
Igniter plugs (or FP wadding ball w/ masking tape... My preferred method actually)
Extra Flame Proof Wadding (or dog barf ) I use a square of fp wadding about 2" of dog barf and a cap of 1square of wadding in LPR's. Haven't tried the "dog barf" yet.
Sandpaper for various uses (Not you Stainless Steel Launch Rods available from McMaster-Carr)
Roll of elastic thread. (helicopter & Glider burn string) Almost forgot about that. I'll need that for my Rotaroc!
Roll of Red Nylon thread (same as above).
X-Acto Knife w/ #11 blade
Pair of Scissors.
6" metal ruler.
Pen
Flight Log. (record every flight & observed conditions - it'll help years later).

Thats the short list; Like I said in the beginning you'll never have everything needed for a particular day but with the above and your list you'll have a great flying day:)

My short list will be much shorter. :wink:

My field box has all the regular stuff.
But there are three items I don't get fancy with.
Don't bring your good X-Acto knife, large bottle of super glue or good roll of masking tape.
Do bring a cheap snap-off blade knife, small one-use super glues, crappy, old, almost empty roll of masking tape.

The problem is others need your stuff and you won't see it again!
If your good knife is returned the tip is broken off.
Super glue is never returned, that's why I bring the small squeeze tubes.
Masking tape? I've never got a roll of tape brought back. I've lost half a dozen over the years.

I don't mind helping out if someone needs something, but I don't want to lose the good stuff.

Last edited:
Since I fully prep my rockets at home (for both club launches and personal launches), my range box usually remains unopened in the car, and my field box fits in my pocket:

spare igniters
masking tape
screwdriver (if needed to arm electronics)

A few items to get stuck objects moving, and a few items to get moving objects stuck back together.

Now that I'm officially old, I also make sure I have a pair of cheapie glasses in my box so I can actually focus on things at a short distance. If I lose them, no big deal...

no, no, NO! Don't you ever uses sandpaper on launch rods. EVER!

I like someone who wants to do a little maintenance. That's cool.

Rods and rails get a little wd40 and a scotch-bright pad. NEVER sandpaper. EVER........

/rant off.

a selection of dowels. Not for packing wadding, but for removing things, such as motors that are stuck...I also do some all-thread, but that's mostly high power.....

Rods and rails get a little wd40 and a scotch-bright pad. NEVER sandpaper. EVER........

/rant off.

a selection of dowels. Not for packing wadding, but for removing things, such as motors that are stuck...I also do some all-thread, but that's mostly high power.....

Why not?

I carry a lot of the above, but found myself prepping everything but igniters and deployment charges if using altimeters at home. Quick to get ready, less field surprises, and less chance of losing parts in the grass.

For 2nd / 3rd flights, you need the equipment to swap the motor, and the deployment charges. Maybe some spare 9V batteries. Bring enough rockets to cover a day's flying.

Tough to do initially, after many years of buying stuff you get enough cases / altimeters to pull this off.

I fly mostly MPR / HPR. Usually have the following plus many items already mentioned:
Igniters
Extra motors
Dog barf
BP
e-matches
screw drivers
shear pins
pliers
hack saw
extra nuts / bolts / screws / washers
zip ties
drill bits
delay adjustment tool
snap ring pliers (if you have those cases)
beepers for tracking
spare rail buttons
adapters
aeropack end caps

/rant off.

Yeah, like Tim asked, "Why not?"

Of course my 1/4" rod is Stainless Steel so I'm not too worried bout that one, but my smaller rods can get cruddy/corroded. A few quick rubs with a little light sandpaper, then a quick wipe down with a dry towel, and a light mist of a silicone spray seems like good maintenance practice to me.

At the Radical Rocketeers launches they have steel wool in boxes near the pads. I usually give the rod I'm going to use a quick rubdown before launch. I think I (fairly recently) read someone suggesting rubbing wax paper on the rod to slick it up a bit. I thought that sounded interesting, but haven't tried it and don't know if there's any potential negatives.

Anyway, I think you should put in your field box everything everyone has suggested, and then take a picture of the dedicated trailer you'll be using to haul it to the range. :)

At the Radical Rocketeers launches they have steel wool in boxes near the pads. I usually give the rod I'm going to use a quick rubdown before launch. I think I (fairly recently) read someone suggesting rubbing wax paper on the rod to slick it up a bit. I thought that sounded interesting, but haven't tried it and don't know if there's any potential negatives.

Anyway, I think you should put in your field box everything everyone has suggested, and then take a picture of the dedicated trailer you'll be using to haul it to the range. :)

Parchment paper should work well, I believe it's silicone impregnated.

I try to bring a few zip ties of various sizes. Very strong and quick to apply if needed. And they can easily be cut away later. I also bring a small pair of nippers. They can be safer to use than an X-acto knife in certain cases. I used to call them dykes, but if I told you to put a pair of dykes in your range box and you misunderstood my intent, you could get a hernia trying to lift your range box.

I try to bring a few zip ties of various sizes. Very strong and quick to apply if needed. And they can easily be cut away later. I also bring a small pair of nippers. They can be safer to use than an X-acto knife in certain cases. I used to call them dykes, but if I told you to put a pair of dykes in your range box and you misunderstood my intent, you could get a hernia trying to lift your range box.

What are you using the "wire ties" for? I've had use for them in my R/C airplanes, but not in LPR.

Yeah, the whole dykes vs. side cutters thing... Back in the early 90's while I was still in the USAF we had to stop calling them dykes and start referring to them by their proper name. Something about masculine females getting offended.

I think I (fairly recently) read someone suggesting rubbing wax paper on the rod to slick it up a bit. I thought that sounded interesting, but haven't tried it and don't know if there's any potential negatives.

That's an interesting idea! As a kid we'd rub wax paper on our swing set slide. The wax did transfer and the slide was almost too fast!

For LPR (non-competition) you really don't need much. Mostly a stick (1001 uses!), scissors, swiss army knife, a few kinds of tape (masking, mylar, electrical), pencil, fine Sharpie, some igniters, small pliers, spare chutes and streamers, ziplock of dogbarf, and a little kevlar and elastic to tie stuff together. Glue is optional.

HPR and competition are a whole other world.

I was going to start a new thread on this subject today, glad I checked the new posts.
Is there a specific size box that can be used for several 4-6 grain motors and some supplies? ....that can be bought at retail "tool" stores?

Also pics would be great too of your field boxes.

if I am planning to build motors for a mid power bird; super lube, paper towels, wet wipes. zip ties can be used to secure motor hooks. other items include, bandaids firstaid cream and insect repellant. separate container/ice chest water and lunch.
Rex

Back