Field Box Contents?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are you using the "wire ties" for? I've had use for them in my R/C airplanes, but not in LPR.

Yeah, the whole dykes vs. side cutters thing... Back in the early 90's while I was still in the USAF we had to stop calling them dykes and start referring to them by their proper name. Something about masculine females getting offended.

You can get some pretty small wire ties. I use them for attaching parachutes, electronics (Jolly Logic altimeters), and even securing motors if the motor hook has broken off. There are other ways of doing these things, but the wire ties can be faster and work great for one time, get it done right now when it is 20 degrees out.

You can get some pretty small wire ties. I use them for attaching parachutes, electronics (Jolly Logic altimeters), and even securing motors if the motor hook has broken off. There are other ways of doing these things, but the wire ties can be faster and work great for one time, get it done right now when it is 20 degrees out.

Ah, ok. Those are valid points. 20 degrees! For the few days that it might actually get that cold down here, I'll just wait to launch rockets in warmer temps. :wink: Besides... When it does get that cold, there's usually a very strong north wind associated with it.

Also pics would be great too of your field boxes.
OK... You asked for it....
20161130_120427.jpg20161130_120440.jpg20161130_120454.jpg20161130_120541.jpg20161130_120617.jpg
The first 3 pics are of my old range box - dating all the way back to 1973. Yep those are AVI Astroport and Estes Aerospace Club stickers plastered all over it!
4th pic shows the essentials for non contest LPR flying. The safety key on an engine casing is my original from the old days, as well. Last pic shows the contents of the main box - mostly chutes, streamers, and a streamer on a stick used as a wind indicator. The launch controller is a recently constructed home-build. Underneath everything is a 4'x4' sheet of landscaping plastic used as a ground prep pad.

NO matter how large or how many range boxes you carry there will always be something you Wish you had remembered LOL!

QFT.

We pull a trailer to the launches and I still never have everything I need! :)

-- Roger

OK... You asked for it....
View attachment 306412View attachment 306413View attachment 306414View attachment 306415View attachment 306416
The first 3 pics are of my old range box - dating all the way back to 1973. Yep those are AVI Astroport and Estes Aerospace Club stickers plastered all over it!
4th pic shows the essentials for non contest LPR flying. The safety key on an engine casing is my original from the old days, as well. Last pic shows the contents of the main box - mostly chutes, streamers, and a streamer on a stick used as a wind indicator. The launch controller is a recently constructed home-build. Underneath everything is a 4'x4' sheet of landscaping plastic used as a ground prep pad.

Outstanding, now I'm quite sad as I think I gave my red metal Kennedy tool box away in the last move 6 months ago. It would have been perfect.

I think we need to define "sand paper" (for rod cleaning)

I do have a piece for rod cleaning, but it's a piece of #400 wet n dry.. removes the surface rust & gunk, and leaves it slippery smooth! I can see the Scotchbrite pad doing a similar job.

A piece of #80 granite grit? No way!

I think we need to define "sand paper" (for rod cleaning)

I do have a piece for rod cleaning, but it's a piece of #400 wet n dry.. removes the surface rust & gunk, and leaves it slippery smooth! I can see the Scotchbrite pad doing a similar job.

A piece of #80 granite grit? No way!

yea I am still wondering about cbrarick's comments regarding sandpaper. I fly at 3 clubs and they all use sandpaper to clean up launch rods.

One item I keep in my range box that I don't think anyone has mentioned is a small first aid kit. I found one at Gander Mountain that is small enough (about 5x3x1) and is in a small waterproof case.

Mine is still used but only to hold face cards and instructions........which also means it's full...

Last edited:
What about using fishing tackle boxes?

I'm sure most people do. There's absolutely no issue with it. I was only remarking on the metal tool box because I thought they were nearly extinct (like metal gas cans), but I guess I was wrong.

I actually have three field boxes, depending where I'm launching from. They all nest together, so I only take the ones I need..

the first is big grey tote. In it, I have motor magazine, launch stuff, and other bots needed for a self contained launch. Ther eis a smalee 'Plano' type tackle organiser for igniters & plugs, motro stuff only.
The 2nd is a plastic shoe box sized tote. In it I have 'currently used' chutes 8 protectors, motor hardware, pen, launch cards, rocket data (launch curves & sim reports) baby wipes etc.. I'll grab this one for club launches, places where motor are available, launch facilities, etc.. it's just eth bits I need to get my rockets ready & launch.
The last is a small-ish Plano tackle organizer. (this fits into / lives in Tote #2) and it has the altimeters, NAR card, grease tube, DAT, etc.. The smaller bits that need protecting or would get lost in tote #2.

I use three boxes as well, but I really don't consider two of them to be range boxes. My range box is a tool box with removeable tray that I found at rural king. That holds all my launch goodies like igniters, powder, dog barf, wadding, tracking powder, motor adapters, tape, and a small compartmented box with a small selection of motors in it. The second is a tackle box that is really my modeller's tool kit. The third is a storage box with a handle that holds all my parachutes, streamers, thread, and other recovery stuff. Also contains my CA and kicker since both can stand up and not leak (a leaking CA bottle in your tool box is NOT a pretty picture!). Of course, this doesn't include my three Stanley motor boxes with well over 100 motors between them! I gotta start packing lighter!!! ;)

I guess I'm a little behind on this thread, but I used to use a very nice Kennedy machinist's tool chest for a range box, but it is very heavy to carry around and I wanted to take it to the shop to use as a, well, machinist's tool chest.

I went to Wal Mart to get a replacement and found this cool box in the tool department.
IMG_20161211_161257.jpgIMG_20161211_161308.jpg

Each little compartment is removable without affecting the others, and is keyed into the base so the others don't rattle around if one is taken out. They are also just the right size to hold LPR motors. :cool:
IMG_20161211_161345.jpg

The whole thing opens like a tackle box and there are bigger, deeper compartments in the bottom. Like the top, the individual compartments can be removed without affecting the others. I took two out and have plenty of room for tools, tape, barf, MPR reloads, just about anything that doesn't fit in the other compartments.
IMG_20161211_161448.jpgIMG_20161211_161429.jpg

Though it needs reloading after the last launch, you can kind of see what I take with me to the field. The major things that aren't shown are things like glue and tape. They are vacationing on the workbench at the moment...

Wow, that really is a nice box! I'm not necessarily in the market for a new tool/range box (I have two ammo cans for motors), but it's very, very tempting.

Back