Fibre glassing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Nokes

Reaction score
God morning everyone
I'm building the Loc 4in Black Brandt X and I was thinking about glassing the body tubes.
What type of Fiber glass do you guys use and w where do I get it thank you

Which sleeve would I need for loc 4 inch tube and what weight downer would I use

Well a 4" tube would require one of the two

41.75-4.8"
14​
9.80.01$2.24$2.14$19.99($1.43/ft)
4 Hvy1.75-4.75"
5​
27.70.029$5.60$5.40$18.99($3.80/ft)

On my 3" LOC tubes, I used standard weight (0.01). Not sure what other people have used.

Cool I didn't realize it's a sleeve, I thought it was the regular sheet fiberglass. So do you hear it once slid into the tube and then use the epoxy to get the smooth finish

From another thread (https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...ler-composites-sleeve-and-shrink-tube.165779/), this is the basic formula I had used

-Glassine peeled LOC Airframe tube
-West Systems 105/206
-Tube mounted horizontally on a mandrel (I used a modified grill rotisserie)
-Resin applied with chip brushes from center out towards ends (as the rotisserie spun)
-Once fully wetted, squeegeed to remove excess resin
-Heat shrink applied and shrunk (with heat gun carefully as the rotisserie spun)
-Cure

The Soller sleeves are excellent and work great. If you decide to get into a broader range of "glassing" - i.e. vacuum bagging, fins, tip-to-tip, etc - in addition to a broader range of materials and weights, you will need to delve into various types of cloth. If you watch Jon Coker's videos on glassing (both tubes and fins) you will hear him talk about cloth (FG & carbon fiber), "release layers" or "peal ply", "batting" and mylar.

Using these techniques is more difficult than sleeving the tube, but you can achieve different things once you get into cloth based techniques.

You can find everything you need here: https://www.cstsales.com/

As noted above, I find West Systems to be the best for layups. Jon uses Aeropoxy 2032 in his videos and I have tried it. It is wonderful stuff, but literally takes days to cure (in an elevated heat environment). West Systems gives you a great overnight cure.

Back