Fiberglassing wraps

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Performance nut

Reaction score
I have a Saturn V transition that is cardstock that has a wrap on it. Can you glass the back of the wrap? I figure if I'm careful, I'm thinking I can reinforce the wrap so I dont need to use spray on adhessive... I don't really like it much.

So long as you have some overlap on the wrap that can be trimmed.
After glassing you have increased the diameter the wrap covers, leaving it shorter than before.

If it's a perfect fit now, after glassing the inside, there will be a small gap after.

That's the POSSIBLE downside...yes you can glass...this hinges on what diameter your project is...larger diam. larger gap...size glass cloth
1.75oz-2-3-oz...larger you have larger gap.

All is mute if there is some extra on wrap that can be trimmed to fit AFTER ya glass...lol

So long as you have some overlap on the wrap that can be trimmed.
After glassing you have increased the diameter the wrap covers, leaving it shorter than before.

If it's a perfect fit now, after glassing the inside, there will be a small gap after.

That's the POSSIBLE downside...yes you can glass...this hinges on what diameter your project is...larger diam. larger gap...size glass cloth
1.75oz-2-3-oz...larger you have larger gap.

All is mute if there is some extra on wrap that can be trimmed to fit AFTER ya glass...lol

I was thinking around the same as far as diameter. The cloth seems a bit thicker than cardstock but I'm not sure when it is "wet" if it thins out some. The two "mounting points" on the transition I was thinking about leaving unglassed as I don't want to thicken it up too much as it could make a large gap. Unfortunately I think that part I will have to do on the fly which is why I'm thinking of using Westwood 206 to give me time to set up and get everything positioned perfectly.

Last time I did this with spray adhesive, it was a nightmare because the spray adhesive wasn't strong and the wrap kept separating when I was working the transition in place. With epoxy and fiberglass cloth, I'm hoping it will be a bit easier. The only remaining question is whether to do this in steps or go all in at once? What I mean by that is should I try and shape the transition first and let that harden and then work the transition into place or should I attempt to assemble the entire thing all at once? I'm leaning towards the first as having a stiffer piece to work with will help get everything lined up easier. Down side is if I made a mistake on the transition, I won't be able to undo it. Whereas when I'm working everything together, I may have time to adjust as needed though it may be a huge pain in the butt trying to get everything to fit together with everything shifting around.

Latest posts

Back