Fiberglass

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Polyester resin will work, but the challenge is that it doesn't bond to epoxy, and vice-versa. This matters when things like fillets and other such bonds are done with epoxy.

In addition, polyester resin is a much nastier product, and requires proper respiration, etc. It shouldn't be used in a home, or attached garage.

-Kevin

The catylist for polyester resin is a deadly chemical, 1 drop in your eye and it's gone type of stuff. 200 mg on your skin and you will not like what happens to you.

This is why major wooden boat builders use epoxy/wood for showboats running into the millions of dollars.

All in one word:

Safety

MEKP (catalyst for Polyesters and Vinylesters) is hazardous, but with care can be used safely. It is routinely used commercially and is, the curing agent for Bondo.

No matter what you use, be smart and be safe.

I have helped a number of people with composites for rockets (I work with composites as the 'day job'), I suggest that they use epoxy resins for a number of reasons including;

More forgiving of use temperature
tougher - better mechanical properties
surface cure without additives
less shrinkage during cure
lower odor

Polyesters have advantages too,
lower cost
adjustable gel times (can get them so they don't run)
quick cure times
can use gel coats
works well with mat glass

I think the advantages of the epoxy offset the advantages of the polyester for making parts, polyesters may be better for mold making.

what ever you use, be smart, safety goggles (not glasses) are a must, have good ventilation, keep the area clean, have a fire extinguiser handy, wear a protective hand cream AND gloves (use two pair of gloves, that way if you need a clean hand, pull of one glove and you still have one on). After handling chemicals wash well with COLD water.

just my opinion....

Back