Fiberglass or plastic nosecones for BT-60 tubing?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jahall4

Reaction score
Anyone out there 3D printing/selling nosecones for BT-60 tubing? Specially interested in Ogive 5:1 or Von Karman profiles.

Sure, lots of folks that do 3D printing, have a fellow down the street, but not looking to do it custom yet. Surely someone out there stocks or prints to order a 5:1 or VK cone?

The second link has very near 5:1 ogive in stock. The last link, if I'm not mistaken, will do design as well as printing, so a well known design like ogive or VK noses might as well be in stock.

The second link has very near 5:1 ogive in stock. The last link, if I'm not mistaken, will do design as well as printing, so a well known design like ogive or VK noses might as well be in stock.
I'm not seeing it Joe

I hadn't noticed before, but the second link, to a Rocketarium page, actually just has a regular Estes product.
It's a three pack of BT-60 nose cones. One is an 8" ogive, and another is an 8.25" ogive, giving ratios of 4.89:1 and 5.04:1 respectively. (The third is a conical of similar length, so you can just throw that in the spare parts box.)

Shapeways offers help with designing and, not on that front page but elsewhere, my initial searches turned up plenty of ovive and some VK nose cones that could be adapted easily if they're not the right size. I just did a new search and found this 5:1 VK for BT-50. A 1.677:1 upscale makes it fit BT-60, and I feel sure they'd do that for you.

And my point all along was that these results came up with very quick, easy searches. My google-fu is reasonably good, but not the best, and I'm at work with time restrictions and corporate site blocking, so there must be a dozen places to get these if one takes more time to look.

I hadn't noticed before, but the second link, to a Rocketarium page, actually just has a regular Estes product.
It's a three pack of BT-60 nose cones. One is an 8" ogive, and another is an 8.25" ogive, giving ratios of 4.89:1 and 5.04:1 respectively. (The third is a conical of similar length, so you can just throw that in the spare parts box.)

Shapeways offers help with designing and, not on that front page but elsewhere, my initial searches turned up plenty of ovive and some VK nose cones that could be adapted easily if they're not the right size. I just did a new search and found this 5:1 VK for BT-50. A 1.677:1 upscale makes it fit BT-60, and I feel sure they'd do that for you.

And my point all along was that these results came up with very quick, easy searches. My google-fu is reasonably good, but not the best, and I'm at work with time restrictions and corporate site blocking, so there must be a dozen places to get these if one takes more time to look.

Yes, I was aware of the Estes cones before I posted. Their construction is not adequate for HPR.

I'm working with someone now to develop a custom cone, but still interested in anyone that has a "production" product.

I think you'll find you can slide most 38mm HPR cones right into bt60 coupler.

I know, for example, that loc pnc 1.52 is how the Merlin Missile Sword works. I've also done a couple of tests with Madcow FG in the same size range.

Back