Fiberglass Nosecone (Metal Tip)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alby

Reaction score
So I bought one of these fiberglass nose cones with the metal tip. What I'm wondering is if folks paint these nosecones or leave them as is?

If you do paint it, what sandpaper grit should I use to prep it for primer and paint?

Screenshot_20210804-130720_Chrome.jpg

I think some clubs require metal tips to be painted, not sure of the reason/s.

As far as sanding goes, I can't think of any reason why it would need to be sanded, just cleaned, cleaned and then cleaned once again.
Any good primer is going to fill any of the machining spirals it might have especially if you use one of the automotive "Filling Primers".
Those would need to be sanded after each application.

Personally, I can't see painting one... they just look so cool au natural.

I'm leaning in that direction because sanding fiberglass is not my idea of a fun day. 🤣😂 I'm using BlueTube as my body.

I have some that are unpainted and one that I painted (didn't want the shiny tip with this paint scheme).
Easy to paint. I first used Bondo glazing and spot putty to smooth the transition then sanded with 600 grit before painting primer. Note; self etching primer works better for metal and is fine on fiberglass.

Back