• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Fiberglass Boatail

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRFfan

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am looking for someone to make a fiberglass boatail for my project. If there is anyone available PM me. Thanks. :)

Last edited:
What size are you looking for? Tim the Wildman has a few boat tails for his kits.

24.8 mm fore dia, 20.9 mm aft dia, length 12 mm, shape von karman

With a length of 12mm the profile will have a negligible effect in drag. It would be much simpler to construct a conical tailcone.

You should consider purchasing a 38mm injection molded cone and cutting it to the necessary diameters.

That's a tiny little boat tail.

You should consider purchasing a 38mm injection molded cone and cutting it to the necessary diameters.

That's a tiny little boat tail.
There isnt any 24 mm von karman fiberglass nose cones avalible.

With a length of 12mm the profile will have a negligible effect in drag. It would be much simpler to construct a conical tailcone.
Yea, i dont really mind what shape it comes in just as long as it comes with the paramiters.

There isnt any 24 mm von karman fiberglass nose cones avalible.

Yea, that's my point. The dimensions you are after exist within a standard 38mm cone. Cut the cone at the distance your larger and smaller diameters exist on the OD and you have what you need.

Yea, that's my point. The dimensions you are after exist within a standard 38mm cone. Cut the cone at the distance your larger and smaller diameters exist on the OD and you have what you need.
ok thanks. Ill see whats avalible.

Build it yourself. The exact shape is not that important whether conical, vk, or whatever.

Buy a 24 mm cone...plastic is fine. Cut it to fit. Simple, cheap, and you learn something.

i would have gone with plastic but the heat from the flame would likely melt the boatail.

2 things

1. is that tailcone behind the motor? if so fiberglass may not survive. how will you attach it? you might want to ask for a 24mm tailcone retainer.

2. you forgot to put fins on it...

2 things

1. is that tailcone behind the motor? if so fiberglass may not survive. how will you attach it? you might want to ask for a 24mm tailcone retainer.

2. you forgot to put fins on it...
1. No, the boatail is attached to a closure (on which there is no thrust ring).

2. there are fins attached to it.

No thrust ring on the closure? I thought we established that you couldn't use modified motor parts on a record rocket.
Yeah i'm not flying it myself but maybe i could ship it down to a few friends down south who have an L2 so that they can fly it there. Even though i wouldnt be there it would still be nice to have my rocket hit 11K on a G.

If you're turning the thrust ring off, requiring that it be flown at a research launch, why wouldn't you just turn the aft closure down to a boattail?

Steve Shannon

Carolina Composites makes such a boattail closure already. But that's been pointed out many times. It's like ground hogs day...

Last edited:
Carolina Composites makes such a boattail closure already. But that's been pointed out many times. It's like ground hogs day...
I know they do but not for the body tube size that i need.

I suggest making a drawing showing the nozzle juxtaposed on the closure so you can see how much length you can stand. Anything protruding beyond the nozzle will either burn off, subtract from the impulse, or both.
Good luck. I'll leave you alone.
Sorry if i came off as rude, but i was in a hurry then and i had time only to send off a quick reply.

And yeah, i tried that with openrocket. Here is the file.

View attachment 314025

Back