Fiber Glassing The Inside Of Your Cardboard Av-Bay

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaryT

Reaction score
I've been having allot of fun building paper kits again over FG, with working from home in my living room its just easier. AMW had a 20% off LOC kits with Vinyl decals so I picked up one of the 1st HP kits I ever had the LOC EZI-65, great kit and was a work horse for me some 10-12 years ago.

Here is what I do to strengthen the thin walled cardboard Av-Bay, mine is DD.

First on all the ends of the coupler and body tubes I wick CA into the edge to stop delaminating, I'll then seal the inside with 1 coat of your standard water based sanding sealer, I'll also seal the exposed end of the coupler.

1st get yourself one of those balloons we had as kids with the elastic band tied to it.

YIGUZhhl.jpg

Then paint the inside of your Av-Bay/Coupler with epoxy, I use WEST Systems as its thinner and has a lot longer working time as you'll need it when doing this. I use 4oz 4" Wide stipes of FG, take my word on it the strips work much better than using one wider piece that goes all the way around in one shot.

Take the strips and do your lay ups all the way around the inside of your coupler, a 4" Coupler will need (4) 4" strips, let them hang out each end by at least 4" as that will save you allot of aggravation.

With a 1" throw away brush paint overtop the FG Strips making sure you leave no air pockets and the FG is pretty well saturated.

Ul4egU5l.jpg

yFK3oC7l.jpg

Now take you balloon and center it while blowing it up, be sure you have the same size balloon ball extending out both sides, when tying it off I use 2 small zip ties, again you'll save yourself allot of aggravation, tying a knot is just a PIA.

8XiZZ2Fm.jpg

Keep an eye on it to make sure 1 your not leaking air and two you don't have epoxy dripping down the sides of the couple, the balloon will squeeze some of the epoxy out and a big azz hardened drip running down the side of a couple is never fun.

zVMaEElm.jpg

Let it cure for at least 24 hours, I know your going to want to pop that balloon sooner but don't do it lol, 24 hours later pop your balloon and peel it out, it comes out supper easy, now with a NEW SHARP X-Acto blade cut the ends off without cutting the paper coupler and sand lightly.

Pretty simple old technic that strengthens that paper coupler ten fold, especially for those hard landings.

Stay safe. Gary T.

Last edited:
Back