Fence Post

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handeman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My version of the Fence Post will make it's first flight at BattlePark today. It will get 900 - 1000 ft on an AT J350W. I made a chute out of an old nylon beach umbrella so I'm hoping the +- 20 ft/sec with the upper section touching down first will allow the bottom half to come down without breaking the fan blades off. The fan blades did come from a 5 bladed fan so I have a spare. Fingers crossed this isn't a one and done flight.

I can't take credit for this idea. I saw a similar fence post fly at the first HPR launch I ever attended back in 2003 at BattlePark. I've never seen that one, or another one at a launch again so I thought it was time I built one.

20221118_221505.jpg

I'm wondering how much it weighs. Love the idea of using fan blades 😄

I'm wondering how much it weighs. Love the idea of using fan blades 😄
With the AT J350W motor installed, it was 17 lbs. (± 0.5 lbs. per flight line scale) I weighed it at home at 15 lbs. 6 oz. without motor.

Check the blades. Turns out these fins are two halves laminated to hold the wicker in place. Two actually delaminated and will need to be re-glued.

Haha this is awesome, this gives me an idea, would be fun to have a community 'Home depot' rocket challenge, 100% of components except for engine needs to come from there or something lol

Haha this is awesome, this gives me an idea, would be fun to have a community 'Home depot' rocket challenge, 100% of components except for engine needs to come from there or something lol
This reminds me over an episode of "Junkyard Wars" where they built high power rockets from parts in the junkyard. Not the best episode but that show was great.

That does sound interesting. Does it have to be purchased?
I knew someone that built a L3 using the core tube from a roll of carpet. I don't remember exactly, the store either gave him the core or he pulled it from the dumpster. Either way, it wasn't a purchase.

I think I would just copy Troj's (Kevin) old Bucket Rocket.... could probably recreate it for less than $100 and it was his L3 cert rocket. Might look better in HomeDepot Orange too :)

1669128255873.png
1669128270280.png

Back