Feet of clay, launch lugs away!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shrox

Reaction score
I am a professional rocket designer, some would say the greatest ever. Why then do I ALWAYS forget the launch lug? Sometimes I am ready to load it on the rod, and guess what? No launch lug! Everytime, I forget until I am putting on decals or something. Geez!

Funny you should mention that. On my latest rocket, the launch lug went on just after the primer. Scrape, glue, fill, prime again...

Why not use rail buttons?

They are always the finishing touch to any MPR/HPR build of mine :D

Actually, I'm considering rail buttons for my next model, which is big enough to warrant them (8'9") but the model I goofed on was a Freedom Forge Missile, only 18" long.

We'd probably just forget the rail buttons, though ;-)

Originally posted by lalligood

Still gotta remember to put them on!!

Shrox,

Use pop lugs (or fall away lugs) as Tim Van Milligan mentions in his design book. Why ruin a great design and paint job for a launch lug?

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

Originally posted by lalligood

Still gotta remember to put them on!!

I agree with Lance, any rocket over 4 feet tall gets them or any that uses a midpower motor.

All ya have to do is screw them on with a lil CA, easier than a launch lug and cheap as heck IMHO

i know, i know, but i must ask: what are rail buttons? do they work with a regular rod setup? do you need a special launch pad?

Originally posted by Blue_Ninja_150
I agree with Lance, any rocket over 4 feet tall gets them or any that uses a midpower motor.

All ya have to do is screw them on with a lil CA, easier than a launch lug and cheap as heck IMHO
Sure, if you have a rail launcher. The most used launcher by far is the standard guide rod launcher. It is what I have...the Mantis.

check it out - www.railbuttons.com

All the info you need to get set up for rail.

I use my rail launcher and rail buttons on all my rockets from the smallest Estes kits to my biggest scrathbuilts.

Rail buttons are so easy to use, rail launcher is very rigid (unlike rods) and it looks cool too!!

Originally posted by shrox
I am a professional rocket designer, some would say the greatest ever. Why then do I ALWAYS forget the launch lug? Sometimes I am ready to load it on the rod, and guess what? No launch lug! Everytime, I forget until I am putting on decals or something. Geez!

I usually remember the lug, but often get to the pad. load the rocket on the rod, then try to attach the leads to the igniter that's still sitting on my prep table 100 feet away...

Loopy

Sometimes if I want to add rail buttons after the fact or when I'm building I'll use a well nut to install it. A well nut is a rubber expansion plug with a steel nut in it. When you screw it down tight the rubber expands and keeps it in place. They are easy to install and you can take them out easily if need be.

Edward

Back