feeling glad this forum exists

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
After returning from a trip, I started making my made my way thru all the new messages in RMR. In one new thread, a person posted that a guy named Jim Turner, a rocketeer and motor supplier in Texas, has passed away. That thread deteriorated to the most unbelievable, worthless dribble I have ever seen. I couldn't stand it, marked the entire list as read, and opened TRF.

I will continue to scan RMR for the occasional useful post, but man it's nice to have an alternative. My thanks to everyone who participates here!

This has got to be one of the most laid back forums/communities I have ever been a member of. I must agree that most other discussion groups produce little worth reading.

On another note, I actually enjoy reading about "Joe Bob's" experience with his Comanche-3 or Mosquito. Sure, most Estes kits are the same and don't differ all that much in construction, but I am still entertained to listen to someone's experiences from package to pad. Don't get me wrong, all of the custom rigs and L3 stuff amaze me too, just on a different scale.

I'd hate to miss too many days around here. Thanks for a great forum.

- Eugene

I have to agree.

All of you seem like such a nice friendly bunch of guys. I get a little dissapointed when I find out how far away all of you are from me.

I'm sooo alone!

sandman

BIG THANKS GUYS! Thanks for the kind words. One of the biggest compliants we heard about RMR was exactly what you are saying. So one of our founding tenents was to have a friendly place to talk rockets (but an occasional cow story never hurts) without all the riff-raff.

As administrators and moderators will confirm we have a private forum that only we can see called Pulled Posts. This forum is for us to pull any questionable post for review by all the moderators to determine what action, if any, should be taken. I am proud to say that in almost a year of operation there is not one thread in that forum. Not one single post has been pulled for review.

This is a testament to the members. My hat goes off to the members for keeping this forum a place that everybody feels comfortable posting and visiting.

Thanks again! :D

BTW: sandman, I think you are somewhat close to CTulanko. He is in Ohio. :)

Originally posted by sandman
I have to agree.

All of you seem like such a nice friendly bunch of guys. I get a little dissapointed when I find out how far away all of you are from me.

I'm sooo alone!

sandman

Have to say, I feel the same! Way up here in the frigid north.... I mostly lurk here, since, being a sailboat guy, as well as a rocket guy, I dont' do near as much rockets as I'd like! But a great bunch of folks here. Bravo!

Nathan

Originally posted by sandman
I have to agree.

I'm sooo alone!

sandman

Sandman,

If you ever venture near Ann Arbor, give Peter Alway a call (and pick up an autographed book or something...) :)

And, con him into showing you his rocket collection! He has some nice looking rockets in his collection.

Originally posted by rstaff3
After returning from a trip, I started making my way thru all the new messages in RMR. [...]

I will continue to scan RMR for the occasional useful post, but man it's nice to have an alternative. My thanks to everyone who participates here!

I cannot go near RMR if I'm having a bad day. (And being unemployed means having a few bad days now and then ... but on the positive side, I haven't been on "summer vacation" for about 30+ years) :)

You can really plunge down a rat hole on RMR without too much effort.

I've made a pledge never to get sucked into their flamefests again.

Lee,

I actually talked to Pete Alway last night. We belong to HUVARS the regional NAR club.

He was launching rockets right next to me at the last club launch...of course he was grumbling the whole time 'cause he had to judge the scale event and couldn't fly much.

I just bought one of his new kits the ARCUS.

Also, Jim Falkert from Totally Tubular (great body tubes) is the president of our club.

O.K. I'll stop name dropping.

sandman

Originally posted by Milo
....place to talk rockets (but an occasional cow story never hurts) without all the riff-raff.

Well, time for a cow story then, which may put me in with all the riff-raff. ;)

Here in Wisconsin, there's all kindsa stories about people going cow-tipping. I strongly suggest that if anyone's told you such a story, that you get out your hip-waders. The fact is that you need about a half dozen decent sized guys to actually tip a cow over.

Sherman, set the wayback machine to 1985:

3 late high school kids (one junior, 2 seniors) are out on a Saturday night, bored out of their gourds. Having heard all the cow-tipping stories, they decide to give it a shot. After driving around for some time, they run across a fairly secluded farm where the cows appear to be sleeping on their feet. High school kids take a running start, drop their shoulders and hit the cow. BAM!! It's like running into a brick wall!!

Well, the cow didn't tip, but the cow DID wake up, and none the happier for the experience (are cows cranky before their first cup of coffee too?). The three high school kids run like crazy with a ticked off cow hot on their heels. Two slide under the electric fence and the third tries to go over. "Tries" is the key word here. To this day, she swears she has a mark across her stomach, although she refuses to display it.

Hey...you asked for a cow story!!

ROTFLMAO.... That is a great story.

WARNING: Kids... don't try this at home.

I learned how tough bulls were in my misspent youth. I once had a BB pistol which was not so powerful (you could shoot your hand at arms length and it would sting really bad but that is it). Well on the way to school one the bigger bulls we passed on the way was really close to the fence. So we stopped, I locked and loaded and proceeded to shoot him in the family jewels. He didn't even flinch. I shot him again and again nothing. On the third time he picked his head up and looked me straight in the eyes like he was saying... "Keep it up you 'neck (that's redneck for those not in the know) and I'm coming over there and kicking your arse, your buddy's arse and then I'm going to take that little Toyota and wrap it around both of you!". We drove away thinking that messing with bulls was not a thing we should do in the future.

Originally posted by Milo
I once had a BB pistol which was not so powerful (you could shoot your hand at arms length and it would sting really bad but that is it).

Has anyone else found this a little disturbing that he would try this on himself?

And this question from a guy that just had to feel what a 75k volt stun gun felt like on his arm through a huge beach towel wrapped around numerous times (still hurt like a BEOTCH).

:D

Originally posted by Jase
Has anyone else found this a little disturbing that he would try this on himself?

Heck Jase, I'm amazed I made it through my youth without being arrested, maimed or outright killed. :D

Originally posted by Jase

And this question from a guy that just had to feel what a 75k volt stun gun felt like on his arm through a huge beach towel wrapped around numerous times (still hurt like a BEOTCH).

:D

Hello kettle? This is pot...you're black!!

Sheesh, and I thought *I* was one sick and twisted individual. No wonder I like it around here so much!! :D

Speaking of volts....

I remember my initiation into the country life. When I was but a wee, small lad, fresh from Navy bratness, my neightbor's dad asked me if I would help him stretch these two pieces of cable. I gladly took one cable into each of my hands and held on tight while he streched them out. When he got them all straight I suddenly felt this shock go through me like I had never felt before. Scared the living bejesus out of me. Not to mention hurting a little bit.

Of course it was a fish shocker but I had no clue. When he cranked the little hand generator.... yowza, that smarts! :mad:

I never trusted him again. :)

Very similar to what happened to a friend when we lived in Maine, only sorta backwards. This kid had a habit of playing around the electric fence, and her dad decided to cure her of the habit. He turned the juice down to a level where it would be uncomfortable, but wouldn't jolt the kid into next week, and took her out to the fence, held her hand and used the other to grab the fence. Well, the kid had put on her thick rubber soled boots for the visit to the fence and the only thing she learned from the event is that when he touches the fence, Daddy squeezes her hand just a little harder than she cares for.

Back